17 pitch prop

Dale Nelson

I ran a SCD4R  17” on my 115 two stroke for years .

5800 rpm

Prolly why it imploded .

Running a Spitfire 13x17 on the new motor.

6300 on the limiter .

IMHO probably will catch flack for saying this ... The Spitfire is a much better wheel .

Just shipped the SCD to its new home this morning .

Good luck getting the prop right .

🇺🇸☠️

Howdy, I am going through the same thing as you. My friend just purchased a 97 hewes bayfisher 18' with a 115 2 stroke. He asked me to help with propping. He has a beat up 19 pitch 3 blade that was running 42 mph at 5300 rpms with 2 people and a cooler full of cold beverages. I let him borrow a solas titan HR 4 blade I have in 17 pitch.  Same load, same day and we got 5800 rpms at 45 mph. The 4 blade is fast out of the hole and he likes it. So far he is sold on the 4 blade and they are cheap online (compared to others I have bought)

I have a 2007 redfisher with a 115 2 stroke which is a different body style. I ran it on my boat with 3 people, livewell full and the prop is fast out of the hole. Ran to 6,000 rpms super fast but I could only muster 47.2 mph on a long straight away.

I hope this helps. Any questions feel free to ask. 

I had a 97 Bayfisher as well.  I ran a bunch of props of all sizes when I had it.  My go to prop was a 17 Trophy.  It had good holeshot, great grip, and WOT was 42-43 @ 55-5600rpm loaded pretty good.  This was a few years ago so there are some new props out there that might do better.   The HR lurem mentioned sounds pretty nice.

I found the Bayfisher was not too picky about props, it really came down to what you were looking for and how you wanted the boat to ride.  My prop cheat sheet of prop data/notes is long gone but I may be able to dust the cobwebs out on how some of the props I tried ran on that hull.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the top RPM limit on a 2-stroke Yamaha 5500? I know that the top end on their 4 strokes varies between 6000 and 6300. I don't believe that running any internal combustion engine above it's redline rpm is going to do anything but shorten it's life.

1 hour ago, hawg said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the top RPM limit on a 2-stroke Yamaha 5500? I know that the top end on their 4 strokes varies between 6000 and 6300. I don't believe that running any internal combustion engine above it's redline rpm is going to do anything but shorten it's life.

Depends on the motor..but, my redline is about 5200-5500 on my 115 two stroke.

dc

This confirmed why I wanted to try a 17p, couldn’t be happier. It always got out of the hole in a short distance- but now it is only one boat length. I was only able to get 5000rpm and 45 mph with the 19 p.

17p

3500= 26 mph

4000=30

4500=33.5

5000=37

5500=41.5 this is max rpm with no trim applied

trim applied it will push around 5800 @ 43.5 mph only 1.5 less top speed.

prop holds much better in tight turns- old prop would blow out pretty easy, it was ported

new prop will not blow out going 15-20 and full turn of the wheel.