Yamaha Gauge always blinks low fuel

Jorgerivadeneira

It is most likely a ground or sensor wire loose. To check the wires undo both from the sensor and look at the gauge.  Then touch them together and look at gauge.  If you go from empty to full the wires are ok. Next connect them to the gauge. If it does not read right you have a bad sensor in the tank. The sensor reads the change in resistance as the float goes up and down. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, smilemaker said:

It is most likely a ground or sensor wire loose. To check the wires undo both from the sensor and look at the gauge.  Then touch them together and look at gauge.  If you go from empty to full the wires are ok. Next connect them to the gauge. If it does not read right you have a bad sensor in the tank. The sensor reads the change in resistance as the float goes up and down. 

Could the float be stuck? 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, smilemaker said:

What do you mean connect them to the gauge. My wires go from the Yamaha gauge to the sender. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

When you touch the wires together it will usually think the tank is full and show it on the gauge. Give it a minute to get the reading.  With both wires unhooked it will think it is empty, again give it a second to get the reading.

Now if you get a reading of full with the wires touching you know the gauge is good. Connect the wires to the sensor where they were originally and you should get a reading of the tank. If you read empty and know you have fuel then the sensor is bad. Not likely to be stuck. 

With the sensor out and connected you can move the float and see the gauge change.

Some new sensors are all electronic and don't have a float, I don't know  much about them but they have to be based on the same theory. 

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

Sorry for the confusion. 

When you touch the wires together it will usually think the tank is full and show it on the gauge. Give it a minute to get the reading.  With both wires unhooked it will think it is empty, again give it a second to get the reading.

Now if you get a reading of full with the wires touching you know the gauge is good. Connect the wires to the sensor where they were originally and you should get a reading of the tank. If you read empty and know you have fuel then the sensor is bad. Not likely to be stuck. 

With the sensor out and connected you can move the float and see the gauge change.

Some new sensors are all electronic and don't have a float, I don't know  much about them but they have to be based on the same theory. 

I’ve been thinking about just replacing it with the WEMA Sender but I’m going to check it first 

I was having an issue with my fuel gauge not reading completely full...the top block was not showing on the gauge. I know it was full cause when I fueled the boat the overfill spewed out. This happen for two tank fulls. I went to where the fuel sender was and noticed the ground was not so tight. I took both ground and positive off cleaned them well, tighten back up, and sprayed corrosion inhibitor on the them. All is well in the kingdom again the gauge reads full again.

Start at the ground.

4 minutes ago, Coto said:

I was having an issue with my fuel gauge not reading completely full...the top block was not showing on the gauge. I know it was full cause when I fueled the boat the overfill spewed out. This happen for two tank fulls. I went to where the fuel sender was and noticed the ground was not so tight. I took both ground and positive off cleaned them well, tighten back up, and sprayed corrosion inhibitor on the them. All is well in the kingdom again the gauge reads full again.

Start at the ground.

Where exactly is the ground. There’s a pinkish and a black wire coming off the sender. 

46 minutes ago, Coto said:

The black is your ground. 

Update. So I removed it without taking the tank out. I bent the *** out of it but discovered that there was a wire that was torn off. That was the problem it was the sender. I’m going to be getting another sender. Would you happen to know of this is the manufacture sender; Original sender. The tank in my red Fisher has the sender slightly offset to the side and the gas tank obviously has some sort of angle towards the bottom because it’s at the keeled bottom to get the right fit. This seems like a very small sander and it actually doesn’t reach the bottom of the tank. I’m hoping that it doesn’t have some other sort of float that hangs down and it could’ve broken off. I am interested in the WEMA sender but it won’t reach the bottom of the tank either 

FB07F6A2-70D2-460F-8372-892B94CADCB5.jpeg

DA597225-0496-4B9C-8FC0-9E160B25416A.jpeg

A picture of the tank would be  helpful. 

Was there a round metal piece that was on the tank attached to the piece in  your hand. The sensor is supposed to be about 1 inch from the bottom. If there was a float that came off it is usually angled to the middle to account for the offset.

It is important to realize that the circular plate  with the connections only goes back one way.  The screws are not symmetrical and it can take some effort to get it back right.

9 hours ago, smilemaker said:

A picture of the tank would be  helpful. 

Was there a round metal piece that was on the tank attached to the piece in  your hand. The sensor is supposed to be about 1 inch from the bottom. If there was a float that came off it is usually angled to the middle to account for the offset.

It is important to realize that the circular plate  with the connections only goes back one way.  The screws are not symmetrical and it can take some effort to get it back right.

Yes there’s a round cap that holds the fuel sender on top of the tank. The wires run from there to the gauge. I’ll go ahead and send some pics when I get home. 

1 minute ago, mulligan said:

It looks to me as you are missing some parts or you have an odd sending unit. Here is a typical sending unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Marine-Products-035722-10-Electric/dp/B000MTI15K/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=fuel+sending+unit+float&qid=1555496981&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Mine wasn’t necessarily odd. All it’s missing in the picture is the cap that sits on top where the wires run to. The float sits in the canal that the metal has. I bought this one. 

AFBA2A6E-2CC0-4DD9-BD13-6A92E428E652.png

Archived