Sign in to follow this  
Jorgerivadeneira

What GPS have you guys mounted on your Hewes

I am looking to get a a GPS for my boat and I was wondering which GPS’s  you guys have mounted on your consoles. I’m looking at the Garmin echo map plus 74cv. I’m going to be fishing the keys, flamingo, Biscayne bay. What would you guys suggest? What chips? Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

I've had garmins before fishing the Keys and 10,000 Islands and found them highly inaccurate.  I'd be running a narrow channel and the garmin showed me on land - not good.  So with my last two boats I've gone with navionics friendly brands - Simrad and Lowrance.  I put a 7" Lowrance on my 16 Redfisher and sold the garmin that was on it.  There are foks on here that swear by garmin though and you may hear from them.  You will also hear a lot about FL Marine Tracks, especially for running the Keys,10,000 Islands and other places like Crystal River that require local knowledge.  Problem is they recommend a 9+" screen to really be effective and a south FL or north FL cost $450 or $650 for the whole state.  I haven't been on a boat with one so I can't recommend but maybe you can get a ride with someone who has one.  BTW, where are you located?

20 minutes ago, Limitless said:

I've had garmins before fishing the Keys and 10,000 Islands and found them highly inaccurate.  I'd be running a narrow channel and the garmin showed me on land - not good.  So with my last two boats I've gone with navionics friendly brands - Simrad and Lowrance.  I put a 7" Lowrance on my 16 Redfisher and sold the garmin that was on it.  There are foks on here that swear by garmin though and you may hear from them.  You will also hear a lot about FL Marine Tracks, especially for running the Keys,10,000 Islands and other places like Crystal River that require local knowledge.  Problem is they recommend a 9+" screen to really be effective and a south FL or north FL cost $450 or $650 for the whole state.  I haven't been on a boat with one so I can't recommend but maybe you can get a ride with someone who has one.  BTW, where are you located?

I am located in south Florida, Miami. I’ll be fishing biscayne bay, flamingo, Florida keys. 

My only hang up with Simrad Entry Level units is the E-Map Chips go into the back of the unit, Lowrance in the front, but if it's a plug the in and leave it and you have console access to the back so what thing. I would also look at 9" if you can

2019.  Looking at getting a new Redfisher later this summer.  9 inch seems straighforward but I spend fair amount of time at FT Pierce/Sebastian inlets and run beaches and 12 inch would be ideal (eyes are not what they used to be...) .  

• Like 1