No More Muffs Fo Me !!!

Wanaflatsfish

Picked up a 70 gallon rubbermaid horse water trough at Griff's Feed here in FLL.

I used it a few times since and it works well....you can let it sit and run under pressure or even put it in gear to run and give it some back pressure.

Worked great so far...I added a quart of salt off - that's the foaming.

You need something that is deep enough to go over the stabilizer plate and I needed something long enough to fit the stabilizer plate.....any garbage just didn't work.

I start my skiff every weekend and I like to let it run a while....I never liked running it on the muffs for long periods of time.....this seems to have met the bill.

Thought I"d pass it along.

IMG_1090.thumb.jpg.0f94d1b76772b2e0268b3e21e41e8105.jpg

IMG_1094.thumb.jpg.80a8fa0b8f4f799b1c9f77e36f57909a.jpg

I have been using the 100 gal. version for several years. Pay attention to the  water temp when running for a long time. You will be surprised  how warm it will get.

When putting  it in gear be careful of prop orientation.  Ask how I know. A little bit of heat and a scrap piece of starboard will weld it and stop the leak. Not pretty but it doesn't leak.

Do you flush it on muffs or use this water tank? The reason I ask is that It looks like the all of the water is going back into the tank, recirculating it back through the motor, instead of running clean water through the motor and getting rid of the salt water. 

2 hours ago, jason p said:

Do you flush it on muffs or use this water tank? The reason I ask is that It looks like the all of the water is going back into the tank, recirculating it back through the motor, instead of running clean water through the motor and getting rid of the salt water. 

It's 100% in the tank.

With the water that has the salt X inside of it, I want it to recirculate....I put it in gear for a few minutes and it shoots the water over the back and then I add fresh back into it.

Lots of guyz just stop along alligator alley and drop it in the canal, which is an option, but, I'm usually tired and want to get home....so, I've opted for this....i really wanted it to run on the weekends when I don't fish...the neighbors were complaining of the noise....so, with the tank, it's pretty quiet.

dc

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

It's 100% in the tank.

With the water that has the salt X inside of it, I want it to recirculate....I put it in gear for a few minutes and it shoots the water over the back and then I add fresh back into it.

Lots of guyz just stop along alligator alley and drop it in the canal, which is an option, but, I'm usually tired and want to get home....so, I've opted for this....i really wanted it to run on the weekends when I don't fish...the neighbors were complaining of the noise....so, with the tank, it's pretty quiet.

dc

Gotcha. I with you. I think about dunking the motor in the canal outside the ENP gate down here but I just can’t get motivated to do it. I’m liking it. 

2 hours ago, polliwog said:

Just curious,whats the beef with muffs? I have used them for 20 yrs with no motor issues.  Heck I use the flush drain in the new motor to clear out the salt when I come back to the dock .  Muffs are for the trailered boat obviously.

I've been using muffs for 20+ yrs as well...I been doing some reading and felt like the tank provides all the advantages smilmaker mentions above...

My Yamadog 5 start mechanic here in FLL told me the best way to clean out an engine is 15 min in the fresh water canal....this is my best option...and I throw in some salt off....or maybe a quart of vinegar next time :)

dc

Archived