Power Tech OFS 4 23

Hi George, I can’t speak to the OFS4 on the HPS, but I did try a handful of props and for what I look for in a boat, the Bravo FS was the one for me. 

Here’s what I found.

As of Saturday, 4/13, I can run 62 anytime I want and 63 is pretty easy to come by, too. I ran 62.5 into a head wind and 3 mph incoming tide with inshore gear, passenger and 65qt. cooler, 50 gallons of fuel and 36 v trolling motor on the bow. I wanted to turn around because she was feeling frisky and I felt like I could have seen 64 easily and maybe 65 since everything would have been in my favor. 

Hey George, where in the world are you? If you’re local to me (FL) I may let you try mine out. I usually cruise around 37-3800 m and see over 4 mpg. Check out JEM,s results when he moved to the same prop, in 20p. He also hauls butt in a 22TE with a SHO 225, and cruises just over 4 mpg. 

Still getting the same performance...pin it to 55-5,600 with no trim, trim up to 6-6,100 and let’r eat. The Bravo FS in 23 would probably be dead on, but I wouldn’t buy it from Merc. due to the odd numbers coming from an even casting. Nothing wrong with it i suppose, but I’ve heard they tend to wear down rather quickly. I’d buy a 22 and send it to Mark Croxton, once you have some solid base line data to provide. He does all the work himself and with a keen attention to detail. Google his name and see what he’s done for the bass guys who really go fast. I’m about to do some work, and will report back soon. 🙈

Brad, I ask myself that every day LOL, why am I not on the water!  50 North of New Orleans, the info on the prop and offer are much apricated, I particularly like the MPG #'s, makes a difference when heading out into Breton Sound or Black Bay, soon as I get done with my pre Easter duties I'll be investigating. Thanks again! 

I've been out that way a lot, heading towards Jackson, MS (little town call McComb, MS). Sure is nice out there and a lot of water. I hear you on the pre-Easter duties, I have them too and, they are also keeping from testing a few things. Good luck on whatever route you decide to go.

TT,

According to PT Props, Looks like the OFX is aggressively cupped, currently running OFS4 21 the SHO does fine reason the discussion came up is during testing of the 2300 I bought light boat one man came very close to the rev limiter, loaded the boat up with the menagerie of fishing, safety, emergency spares + fuel and it came in line around 6,000  , discussed with the shop Tech at Tim's Marine on going to the 23 but I kind of like the info I'm hearing on the Bravo, little bit better fuel #'s and a little bit more speed, why I want more speed I have no idea must be a need for speed thing, once on the step the boat can be scary fast fully loaded 

OFS: 15.25" DIAMETER, AVAILABLE IN 14"-28" IN PITCH, 4 BLADES, RIGHT- AND LEFT-HAND ROTATION, MODERATELY  HIGH RAKE AND FULL TIP CUP FOR EXCELLENT LIFT AND GRIP,

OFX:15.25" DIAMETER, AVAILABLE IN 15"-28" IN PITCH, 4 BLADES, RIGHT- AND LEFT-HAND ROTATION, MODERATELY HIGH RAKE, HIGH ASPECT RATIO X-CUT GEOMETRY, AGGRESSIVE CUPPING FOR EXCELLENT LIFT AND GRIP CHARACTERISTICS,  

I meant to speak to outrunning a squall, and I did that very thing last year. I was at the sandbar with some friends last year (he has a Sportsman with an F150) and a storm kicked up. I packed up and pushed off, which prompted him to say "you're going to get soaked no matter what, you can't get in front of it". I got in front of it, on the trailer on heading home long before we saw a drop of rain.

I loved a PowerTech prop on my old Pathy, it was great! I did not care for a PowerTech on the HPS, at ALL! PowerTech makes a robust, well handling prop, and their CushLok system is second to none. However, the ones I ran on my HPS were not for the HPS. Not at all. I want to be clear that I am not bashing PowerTech, or Marcus, great company and great guy, however, I have not found one that allows my boat to preform as it should; as it is advertised.

In my thread about my prop dance, you can see where Sunstone switched up to a Bravo, and all of the sudden he could turn at speed. Not being able to freely turn at speed was more of a concern to me than anything else. I mean it's not that you couldn't turn at 50 mph, but with the OFX4, it took a lot of effort....Enough that there is no way my wife could operate the boat. The OFX4 works well on the 24 and 25 because (in my opinion) they haul a lot more weight than we typically would in a 23. Also, as I have found and as JoshB mentioned, you don't want to pick up a bunch of stern on the HPS, the step needs to get free of the water to see the fuel mileage improve and the speed, too.

I'm done with McComb.....for now. o.O

Brad the boat is heavy to steer, you can turn it but its definitely stuck to the water, the OFS 4 21 is pretty square as far as rev /mph I've noticed as well but it definite feels like the step isn't in full play, and I'm not bashing PT at all either, had one on a 175 E-Tech and it made a difference in the SP 2100 Stratos  ( Heave Old School Bay) Was goofing around in Breton Sound chasing Trout and suddenly felt the air temp drop and it was time to go chop picked up a bit pointed the HPS to the MRGO long rocks and let it go for a bit, hull worked great and handled well never had to trim the bow down, closed in behind me but never got wet, looks like I see a Bravo 1 FS in my future, PT will become the spare for the hull

HB there nice, looked for a while and researched before I decided to get rid of the Stratos Bay Boat I had for 22 years, but I've come to the conclusion I won't own another unless it has a step. But in the grand scheme of things if what you have works and works well, is set up to your liking, fish it till it won't go no more. In Nov I'll put the 2300 to bed and running the mud boat till Jan.