Gelcoat long line separation underside?

bkh

Hi all, is related to my 2016 pathfinder trs with 100 hrs. I was doing my annual waxing under the boat today and saw a very long, from middlle bottom to the transom, wide (bout 1/4 inch) scratch or some type of gelcoat separation. It is just next to the area where it sits on the bunks. The boat sits on the factory ameritrail trailer most of the time. It seems way too long and too uniform to be from hitting somsht8ng on the bottom. Not the mention I have only run aground once on sandy bottom. Here are a few pics. Any thoughts would be helpful in terms of what may have caused it and whether I need to fix it?  Thank you. 

407E19D4-D3BA-4D5B-9A66-74DCFC805764.jpeg

366987F0-04E5-4371-B9C7-889FE5952FC6.jpeg

159D2E26-2B13-47B7-8951-3621E49F5A62.jpeg

E70F2599-FE92-4E95-B819-D4C325BA816E.jpeg

A5D0CC35-8DF2-4E4F-A203-F4A5FC2882D5.jpeg

Good question and makes a lot of sense. Not to my knowledge though. The only service I have had done has been on the trailer but maybe when it was delivered to the dealer?  This is my first time underneath so it may have been there since new.  My son usually does the detailing.  He said he never noticed it but isn’t quite as detailed oriented as me...

Structurally, it does not look serious - just a deep scratch.  However, if it were me, I would want to repair or at least seal the scratch to prevent water intrusion.  If you leave the boat in the water for a length of time, and water has a chance to penetrate into the fiberglass layup, it will weaken the strength of the hull and cause gelcoat blisters.  Sorry to be an alarmist, but I'm a little OCD about that sort of thing.  Could cost a lot more to fix down the road if left untouched.

I would take it to the dealer and ask for a review.....it does look mechanical and NOT from a grounding..

BTW, just because you have not run aground, doesn't mean something like this could not have happened...running at WOT and hitting something in a heavy chop, could have done this...or, it does look like a mechanical damage if you are storing at a lift / boat storage.

dc

Archived