Batteries in front hatch 18 redfish

Jutsey

I’m trying to remedy the notorious porpoising issue on a 2005 redfisher and wanted to see if any one had pictures of how they oriented the batteries in the front hatch. Also does the hatch need to be reinforced in any way. Most importantly did it help any with the ride?  Thank you in advance 

I know folks that have redfishers will respond but I wanted to offer an opinion. My 22 pathfinder had batteries in the front when I bought it. I think to possibly counter the pourpose and partly because they were lazy. 

The previous owner threw in cheap battery boxes with the cinch strap. All the boxes were cracked and the batteries were loose. 

I would say pay up for good battery trays. Possibly bed them with 5200 before you screw them down. They will take a beating up there in a chop. 

I had a 2002 both my trolling batteries were in the center console. The house battery was in the starboard rear hatch. I never had any porpoisesing. Mine had a 150 VMax with a negative wedge on and a Powerpole on the transom.

what motor are you running and are you using any tabs? Just give it a little tab I always did it just a bit along with trimming the motor to its sweet spot.

4 hours ago, Coto said:

I had a 2002 both my trolling batteries were in the center console. The house battery was in the starboard rear hatch. I never had any porpoisesing. Mine had a 150 VMax with a negative wedge on and a Powerpole on the transom.

what motor are you running and are you using any tabs? Just give it a little tab I always did it just a bit along with trimming the motor to its sweet spot.

What circumstance lead you to get the negative wedge?

Two group 27s under the front of the console is ideal I believe. I took a close look at putting mine in the front console, but could not figure out a good method. Plus, you sacrifice a LOT of storage.  For a great hole shot, just tab down, trim down and hit it. Mine jumps up in about 2 boat lengths.  130 two stroke, 18 pitch 3 blade Yamaha prop. Nothing special, but it works.  JMO

Archived