Seat back rest for MA17

pondfisher

Birdsall marine ships them out.  I had one on my last boat and it worked well.  Just give them the size and they will make it.  They might be limited on the colors for the vinyl if you have an off color you are going to match.

There is always Quality T-Tops.  When I was searching years ago they were a good bit more for they backrest but can get it done.

22 hours ago, pondfisher said:

I'm already working with Quality (have done many projects with them before) but they asked me to send them pics/ideas from other boats which I've done.  In the meantime I'll call Birdsall.  Thank you all!

pf

PM Ralph-AKA Outlaw - master welder...see what he might have to offer...yes, in FLL , but, if you imagine it...he can build it.

dc

• Like 1

Just PM him here as "The Outlaw" hit him on Facebook as Aim Welding or call his shop. I ordered a Birdsall before I had laid eyes on Ralph's work but they seem to have lots of pics on their page. Pic of mine attached if you are just looking for real world installs.

DSC_1145.jpg

Looks like you had your plates and arms mounted to your lids, right? That's why I decided not to go with Birdsall because I'd have to mount the hardware and arms to the lids and I just don't think my lids are strong and thick enough to put that much pressure (of people leaning back on the rest).  Plus, every time you want to open your lids you'd have to remove the backrest, right? No?

Thanks.

pf

Here's what sweendog sent me. Rod holders in the deck to drop in the tubes/arms of the backrest. Holes mounted right in front of the poling platform feet... exactly where my poling platform feet are.  I think I have the design I need right here. Done by Bluepoint Fabrication in Titusville though. Too far. Will probably have Quality do this design.

48CDBC5C-2F9C-46AE-A8EE-6C55966A1CA1.thumb.png.2d6d2bfedac7086d9625694fa9ff5040.png

89350323-C0A4-4B34-8E4B-73379AF17DCD.thumb.png.0c378b9f4ba1021768c0f08681fd51e4.png

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 2:40 PM, pondfisher said:

Looks like you had your plates and arms mounted to your lids, right? That's why I decided not to go with Birdsall because I'd have to mount the hardware and arms to the lids and I just don't think my lids are strong and thick enough to put that much pressure (of people leaning back on the rest).  Plus, every time you want to open your lids you'd have to remove the backrest, right? No?

Thanks.

pf

I have had it on about 8 years with no hatch issue as far as strength. I made a 3/4" starboard backing plate so I could thru bolt them to beef it up a bit.  I looked at the arm idea but my 55 Yeti goes between my pole platform feet on week long trips etc and that concept would mean I would have to relocate the cooler and I run out of deck space quick with double rod lockers. . 

And no sir...I open hatches with it attached. Im not a fan of the individual cushion config that was OEM so had Sandy make one that is one piece and hatch opens as one piece. 

IMG_6091.jpg

2 hours ago, triplec said:

I have had it on about 8 years with no hatch issue as far as strength. I made a 3/4" starboard backing plate so I could thru bolt them to beef it up a bit.  I looked at the arm idea but my 55 Yeti goes between my pole platform feet on week long trips etc and that concept would mean I would have to relocate the cooler and I run out of deck space quick with double rod lockers. . 

And no sir...I open hatches with it attached. Im not a fan of the individual cushion config that was OEM so had Sandy make one that is one piece and hatch opens as one piece. 

IMG_6091.jpg

I really like the one piece bench cushion design.  Wish I had thought of that.  It's kind of a pain opening your hatches with the cushion attached. Thanks for the ideas and info.  This is, like all things on the skiff... a work in progress.

pf

15 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Call AIM Welding - Fort Lauderdale, FL

3939 SW 12th Ct, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

Hours: 
Open ⋅ Closes 12:30PM

Ft. Lauderdale too far. Have an appointment with Quality 5/15.  But thank you very much! All of these shops do good work.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, palmetto1 said:

Im having one made now that folds up out of the way. I liked that better than something removable and putting holes in my deck.  Mine will have pins so it can be removed but when folded up should be out the way.

IMG_0777.PNG.aa5063a27f06787d8205fa5a6e45f5be.PNG

IMG_0536.jpg.2ab85127be86b5f7fd3702f15b3e0f5a.jpg

Thank you!  That's a great idea and one I might just go with. I like the through deck rod holder style as well but the rod holders will have to protrude down into the outer edges of the live well.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my backrest built (took a month to get on their schedule and then five weeks to complete the job because powder coating company had oven failure - so I was told) and it turned out super nice. Quality T Tops did the job but thank you to everyone who contributed info, especially sweendog whose backrest built by Bluepoint Marine was the inspiration and model for what I had Quality build. 

pf

4806CB9A-2258-4901-B4C3-DBF02157ADAE.jpeg

C41E6F76-0084-4214-B495-34D5AF791C52.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Dang Pondfisher, between the backrest and the SHO, i think it is time for some updated full-boat pics!!!   You might be closing in on me in the "MA investment dollars" category, but not to worry, I am only halfway through . . .

Post pics of her!

Should be getting hung next week.  Pics forthcoming!

pf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

I am here !

🇺🇸☠️

That backrest is beautiful! 👍🏻

Yeah, you’re right. It took a LONG time to get my boat back but the end product is dang near perfect (in terms of what I asked them to do). The attention to detail is impeccable and it’s truly a work of art, both functionally and aesthetically. 

• Like 1