18 Master Angler re-power

Carolinadrifter

I’m tossing around the idea of getting a new engine for my 2003 18 MA. I’m currently running the v max 175 HPDI. I had some fuel issues after I first bought it mainly due to the previous owner running ethanol fuel. Other than that it’s been a great motor. I’m looking at getting a 4 stroke 150. (Yamaha more than likely.) I love how quiet the 4 strokes are I’m getting tired of buying yamalube. Anyone re- powered lately? If so where’s the best deal on a new engine? I’m in South Carolina but will travel for the right price.

32 minutes ago, Carolinadrifter said:

I’m tossing around the idea of getting a new engine for my 2003 18 MA. I’m currently running the v max 175 HPDI. I had some fuel issues after I first bought it mainly due to the previous owner running ethanol fuel. Other than that it’s been a great motor. I’m looking at getting a 4 stroke 150. (Yamaha more than likely.) I love how quiet the 4 strokes are I’m getting tired of buying yamalube. Anyone re- powered lately? If so where’s the best deal on a new engine? I’m in South Carolina but will travel for the right price.

Adding oil is easier than changing it! :D  You can buy a lot of Pennzoil Premium Plus (Cheaper than Yamalube) for the price of that repower! LOL

• Like 1

Maybe check out those new mercs. I personally like the push of the 2strokes esp in a non offshore boat. I would only re power my MA18 with an Opti—- today.  But they aren’t quiet. Have a set of ‘12 225s on a CC w over 2000hrs. 

The deals usually pop up at the end of summer and fall. If you keep your controls, you’re looking at 12-13k. If you go new everything, you’re closer to the 15-16k range. When I was shopping the Zukes were substantially cheaper; like 3k cheaper. I’d hang a Zuke on the back if given the opportunity. They’re great motors for the money. I know of a set of 150s with 8000 hours that are still going. 

• Like 1

You should definitely do a Yamaha 175 SHO. 😎 Yeah for sure. 🤘 🤘Mainly because thats what I would have as my first choice and I would rather someone else hang it, prop it and run it and tell me what they think before I write a check lol.

On a serous note....I did just get a quote from Central Marine Service in St. Pete. Mainly because they have big presence on social media, not because they are close or I have used them but they do seem to have engines when others don't. Karl quoted me 12K for the F150, 13,300 for the 150 SHO and 13,500 for 175 SHO on a new one in the crate. For warranty to be in place a dealer has to hang though he said. No numbers on that yet but buddy spent 400 last spring on the install labor but sold his old one for 1K and it was blown. 

Yea I just had a buddy here in Charleston get a quote for a F150 at $12,800 without controls and new gauges. I would probably skip gauges and just run the Cable to my HDS 7. I would need a new throttle though.  I will probably wait until late fall and see if I can find a deal. Also get the extended warranty they always offer late fall/ winter. 

• Like 1

I hadn't either and I may have mis understood as it was during the time period last month when Yamaha had the free warranty extension and I was asking him how that worked if I bought it in the crate and tossed it in the truck and I thought he said Yamaha shop had to install to initiate it and it wasn't valid on the extension if not so I muddied the water ponding the promo. 

• 4 weeks later...

I repowered 6 years ago from 175 Evinrude to 150 Yammy 4 stroke on my ‘93 MA 18. It is 100lbs heavier but I only to refuel once a month rather than every trip. I know prices have increased since so do a little shopping. FYI , I just repowered my Robalo2140 with a 250 Zuke 

• 4 months later...

Tilt/ trim motor went out last weekend and shop says lower unit seals are bad. Not wanting to spend $1500-$2000 on a 16 year old motor so I think I’m going to repower. Local shop here in Charleston has quoted me $12,085 for F150 $12,990 for 150 sho. I’m looking at $16,500 OTD for the F150 with all new controls, gauges, prop and a new helm. About $17,700 OTD for the 150 sho. Personally leaning towards the F150. Anyone repowered with a 150 Sho? Is it worth the extra $1200? 

I wonder how pricing and availability would compare with a Mercury 150 ProXS?  It's 26 pounds lighter, with more displacement (3.0L and probably more torque), and runs on 87 octane gas.  Or, how about the New Merc 175 ProXS?  It's 10 pounds lighter than the Yamaha 150 SHO (2.8L). The 175 ProXS is 3.4L of pure V6 muscle, and also runs on 87 octane.

I've seen plenty of SHO's in for warranty service at the local shops the past 2 years. I also have two friends that upgraded their Yammi 4 strokes to the SHO's and wish they wouldn't have done it. Just saying!

I've got no skin in this game but I'd go F150 because it's a proven motor & I doubt you'll see a remarkable performance benefit of the SHO in your hull design.  

On 4/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, lurem said:

I am pretty sure I have heard the same thing, in order for the warranty to be valid a dealer had to hang the motor or do the initial startup, maybe both.

You can use either the shop you bought it from to hang the motor or you can use a different shop as long as they're certified Yami mechanics.  They just have to fill out a form and list their credentials, etc., and you return the form to the shop where you bought the motor and they send to Yamaha. Though I did have Central hang my motor, I almost had another certified Yami mech. hang it... it was just too much trouble trying to get the motor from one shop to the other.

Went with the F150. Dropped the check off this morning so the dealer could order it. I just couldn’t ignore the tried and true dependability of the F150. I’m not obsessed with speed and probably only pushed the throttle wide open on my 175 a handful of times during the six years I’ve owned the boat. Plus $1200 bucks is $1200 bucks. Honestly think the Yamaha grey will look better with a dark blue hull as well. Now I just have to get through the painful 2 week wait for the engine to arrive. Guess I’ll have to go back to my roots and fish the old mans duck boat for a few weeks. 

• Like 2