Keys Trip / Islamorado Question

soflah3

Hey Fellas,

I have made a number of trips down with my offshore boat over the years and plan on my first venture with my Redfisher 18 this coming Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. 

Over the years in my offshore boat I never ventured on the bay side of the bridge so I don't know how the wind forecast will effect our trip. It is looking a bit breezy but in my mind seems doable. What say thee?  We are staying at Kon Tiki bay side. 

Forecast Keys.PNG

Kon Tiki is a great choice when it's windy - always somewhere to get out of the wind.  Several good flats close in and the deeper channels hold a variety of fish.  There's always something to fish for, and mornings will be best before the sea-breeze adds to the wind.   If it lays for you at least one day the run up to the Flamingo area is only about 30 minutes.  Also the area around Blue Banks is covered with grass and holds fish.  I've fished out of Kon Tiki many times in a Redfisher and really like that area.

4 hours ago, Limitless said:

Kon Tiki is a great choice when it's windy - always somewhere to get out of the wind.  Several good flats close in and the deeper channels hold a variety of fish.  There's always something to fish for, and mornings will be best before the sea-breeze adds to the wind.   If it lays for you at least one day the run up to the Flamingo area is only about 30 minutes.  Also the area around Blue Banks is covered with grass and holds fish.  I've fished out of Kon Tiki many times in a Redfisher and really like that area.

Appreciate the info! That is what I was thinking, plenty of spots to duck out of the wind if needed and plenty close in.

Thanks for the other info on Blue Banks. We are hoping a trip up to Flamingo if the wind is down. 

8 hours ago, soflah3 said:

Hey Fellas,

I have made a number of trips down with my offshore boat over the years and plan on my first venture with my Redfisher 18 this coming Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. 

Over the years in my offshore boat I never ventured on the bay side of the bridge so I don't know how the wind forecast will effect our trip. It is looking a bit breezy but in my mind seems doable. What say thee?  We are staying at Kon Tiki bay side. 

Forecast Keys.PNG

This wind is all fishable ina RF18.

Make the run early to flamingo before it kicks up....and you can fish up near lake ingrham or the channels of snakebite during the week.

Prepare for a good beating on the way back....but, not too bad so long as it doesn't get over 15-20Kt.

DC

Lots of ways to dodge the wind on the Bayside.  Look for deeper channels and cuts with some current.  Definitely run across to flamingo if the wind allows.  Lots of good restaurants on the water (Loreleis, Islamorada fish company, Robbies AKA Hungry Tarpon, Marker 88 etc). 

2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Lots of ways to dodge the wind on the Bayside.  Look for deeper channels and cuts with some current.  Definitely run across to flamingo if the wind allows.  Lots of good restaurants on the water (Loreleis, Islamorada fish company, Robbies AKA Hungry Tarpon, Marker 88 etc). 

Don't forget Chief Michael's and try the duck.  

The wind was relentless are all 3 days we were there. Made fishing very difficult to say the least! We did have a blast though and was able to catch a big tarpon the the Channel 2 bridge. I am guessing in the low 100's range. By far the biggest tarpon on the boat. It appears the tarpon are showing up in big numbers there. 

Kon Tiki was a fantastic place to stay. Nice ramp on site, clean and cold rooms and friendly staff. 

Couldn't get into Chef Michaels on Sunday so we ate at Ziggie & Mad Dogs which was great. Monday night was Chef Michaels and as usual, it didn't disappoint. 

Looking forward to getting back soon with less windy conditions. so we can make a trip to the north. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, soflah3 said:

The wind was relentless are all 3 days we were there. Made fishing very difficult to say the least! We did have a blast though and was able to catch a big tarpon the the Channel 2 bridge. I am guessing in the low 100's range. By far the biggest tarpon on the boat. It appears the tarpon are showing up in big numbers there. 

Kon Tiki was a fantastic place to stay. Nice ramp on site, clean and cold rooms and friendly staff. 

Couldn't get into Chef Michaels on Sunday so we ate at Ziggie & Mad Dogs which was great. Monday night was Chef Michaels and as usual, it didn't disappoint. 

Looking forward to getting back soon with less windy conditions. so we can make a trip to the north. 

We were @ Kok Tiki this weekend as well .

Redfisher and Pathfinder .

Ran to Cape Sable on Sat .

Ugggggggggg

🇺🇸☠️

6 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

We were @ Kok Tiki this weekend as well .

Redfisher and Pathfinder .

Ran to Cape Sable on Sat .

Ugggggggggg

🇺🇸☠️

That wind didn’t set down all week! 

Thats a heck of a long run with that breeze. Did you catch anything?

Archived