Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soflah3

Keys Trip / Islamorado Question

Recommended Posts

Hey Fellas,

I have made a number of trips down with my offshore boat over the years and plan on my first venture with my Redfisher 18 this coming Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. 

Over the years in my offshore boat I never ventured on the bay side of the bridge so I don't know how the wind forecast will effect our trip. It is looking a bit breezy but in my mind seems doable. What say thee?  We are staying at Kon Tiki bay side. 

 

 

Forecast Keys.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kon Tiki is a great choice when it's windy - always somewhere to get out of the wind.  Several good flats close in and the deeper channels hold a variety of fish.  There's always something to fish for, and mornings will be best before the sea-breeze adds to the wind.   If it lays for you at least one day the run up to the Flamingo area is only about 30 minutes.  Also the area around Blue Banks is covered with grass and holds fish.  I've fished out of Kon Tiki many times in a Redfisher and really like that area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Limitless said:

Kon Tiki is a great choice when it's windy - always somewhere to get out of the wind.  Several good flats close in and the deeper channels hold a variety of fish.  There's always something to fish for, and mornings will be best before the sea-breeze adds to the wind.   If it lays for you at least one day the run up to the Flamingo area is only about 30 minutes.  Also the area around Blue Banks is covered with grass and holds fish.  I've fished out of Kon Tiki many times in a Redfisher and really like that area.

 

Appreciate the info! That is what I was thinking, plenty of spots to duck out of the wind if needed and plenty close in.

Thanks for the other info on Blue Banks. We are hoping a trip up to Flamingo if the wind is down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soflah3 said:

Hey Fellas,

I have made a number of trips down with my offshore boat over the years and plan on my first venture with my Redfisher 18 this coming Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. 

Over the years in my offshore boat I never ventured on the bay side of the bridge so I don't know how the wind forecast will effect our trip. It is looking a bit breezy but in my mind seems doable. What say thee?  We are staying at Kon Tiki bay side. 

 

 

Forecast Keys.PNG

This wind is all fishable ina RF18.

Make the run early to flamingo before it kicks up....and you can fish up near lake ingrham or the channels of snakebite during the week.

Prepare for a good beating on the way back....but, not too bad so long as it doesn't get over 15-20Kt.

 

DC

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  It is very doable, just make sure the tabs are in working order. If the wind is blowing from a front pay attention, that is why I have my user name I do, many others can tell ya to! Depending on your route, you could get some insider info, PM me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made that trip in my 18rf last year.... It was a slick calm day so I went about a mile beyond the reef.... A little uncomfortable, and stupid but I got a few biggg muts out of it!!! Overall handeled like a champ as always

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of ways to dodge the wind on the Bayside.  Look for deeper channels and cuts with some current.  Definitely run across to flamingo if the wind allows.  Lots of good restaurants on the water (Loreleis, Islamorada fish company, Robbies AKA Hungry Tarpon, Marker 88 etc). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Lots of ways to dodge the wind on the Bayside.  Look for deeper channels and cuts with some current.  Definitely run across to flamingo if the wind allows.  Lots of good restaurants on the water (Loreleis, Islamorada fish company, Robbies AKA Hungry Tarpon, Marker 88 etc). 

Don't forget Chief Michael's and try the duck.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sunstone said:

Don't forget Chief Michael's and try the duck.  

 

My favorite place there! Usually do the Conch chowder and a whole fried hog fish. Delicious 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wind was relentless are all 3 days we were there. Made fishing very difficult to say the least! We did have a blast though and was able to catch a big tarpon the the Channel 2 bridge. I am guessing in the low 100's range. By far the biggest tarpon on the boat. It appears the tarpon are showing up in big numbers there. 

Kon Tiki was a fantastic place to stay. Nice ramp on site, clean and cold rooms and friendly staff. 

Couldn't get into Chef Michaels on Sunday so we ate at Ziggie & Mad Dogs which was great. Monday night was Chef Michaels and as usual, it didn't disappoint. 

Looking forward to getting back soon with less windy conditions. so we can make a trip to the north. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Still beats working! 

  I will be in Key Largo at the Anchorage resort (across from Gilbert's) for 4 days at the end of next week. As always I hope for the best (no wind) but always prepare for the worst (wind). Especially this time of year!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, soflah3 said:

The wind was relentless are all 3 days we were there. Made fishing very difficult to say the least! We did have a blast though and was able to catch a big tarpon the the Channel 2 bridge. I am guessing in the low 100's range. By far the biggest tarpon on the boat. It appears the tarpon are showing up in big numbers there. 

Kon Tiki was a fantastic place to stay. Nice ramp on site, clean and cold rooms and friendly staff. 

Couldn't get into Chef Michaels on Sunday so we ate at Ziggie & Mad Dogs which was great. Monday night was Chef Michaels and as usual, it didn't disappoint. 

Looking forward to getting back soon with less windy conditions. so we can make a trip to the north. 

 

We were @ Kok Tiki this weekend as well .

Redfisher and Pathfinder .

Ran to Cape Sable on Sat .

Ugggggggggg

🇺🇸☠️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

We were @ Kok Tiki this weekend as well .

Redfisher and Pathfinder .

Ran to Cape Sable on Sat .

Ugggggggggg

🇺🇸☠️

That wind didn’t set down all week! 

Thats a heck of a long run with that breeze. Did you catch anything?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...