Bimini Top Recommendation - PF 22

gwojnow

Looking for a recommendation on the preferred choice of bimini top for a 2005 Pathfinder 22 TE...top will be used for cruising and needed to shade the family! Appreciate it if someone could point me to the right brand to go with and preferred install method. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area if that helps with any local vendors. Thanks!

GWOJNOW,

Two years ago I did a lot of research on internet “ready made” and custom canvas shops,  and settled on Phil Hertzog in Ft. Pierce. He does a lot of custom canvas work in your area. The quality was super, and his customer service was great. It’s just he and his wife, but it’s a high quality top. He uses heavy wall tubing for the frame, and heavier Sunbrella fabrics. He knows Pathfinders too, having done a lot of their OEM work.

He is not inexpensive however. I got an extra large top, rod slits with zippers, covers, SS hardware, and he installed it. I paid about $1k.

You can find much cheaper on the internet, but most people around me can’t make them last more than two or three seasons with regular (almost everyday in summer) use. All will work, though.....just a matter of taste and pocketbook.

Hertzog Canvas.772-708-0898 

Hope this helps.

Going for the best you can afford is a good idea, as Frozen points out.  I had an El Cheapo bimini on my 19', and I ended up rarely using it.  It didn't have enough headroom, and the fabric got very hot in direct sunlight.  When standing, I could feel the heat from it on my face.  Not good.    It was better than not having one, but I was never really happy with it.

A few things I would recommend are flush (or nearly so) quick release gunnel top mounts, so you can install and remove it easily.  Also be sure to take some time when positioning it, so that when folded flat you can still open your livewells, raise the motor all the way up, etc.   

A bimini is a great add to a Pathfinder, especially when taking the family out...

Dan

“A few things I would recommend are flush (or nearly so) quick release gunnel top mounts, so you can install and remove it easily.  Also be sure to take some time when positioning it, so that when folded flat you can still open your livewells, raise the motor all the way up, etc.”

X2......and if you doing a self install, make sure the bows provide forward coverage. Might keep you from easy aft livewell access, but nothing *** as much as the driver under shade, and the wife roasting forward! Pontoon boat, here we come!

I’ll second Phil Hertzog. I had him do my 2200 trs while still at the factory in fort pierce but he was willing to travel so don’t think that would be an issue. Fits like a glove and is flawless in terms of materials and workmanship. It’s close to 4 years old and looks new. Heavy gauge Aluminum 4 post frame with quick release Alcon mounts and sunbrella top and boot. A little pricey, I think about $2k all in, but well worth it to me. 

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and valuable feedback. I have already sent Hertzog a message to start a dialogue. If anyone else has any recs or wants to add input please do so! I'll be making a decision within a few weeks hopefully. Again, thanks!

In the past years, I've had a few Bimini Tops on different boats. Custom build is the way to go. I had zippers in my last Bimini right above the vertical rod holders on the console. Otherwise you have to find another place for your rods when the top is up. Accon quick connect mounts are the way to go. You can deploy, move or remove the top by yourself. Like they said, the most important part is mounting your hardware so that you can fold the top without interfering with hatch lids and motor when the motor is tilted up. Have it build tall enough so you don't have to lean forward to see out the sides. Also, additional height keeps the heat from radiating down on your face and head.

If you want to spend a little more money, look at Shade Blade by Tucci. I have one on my 23 HPS. It's 7 ft. wide X 11 ft. long. The straps in the front connect just as a Bimini, but the straps in the back connect to your leaning post. There is nothing on the sides or back to interfere with casting or fishing. Can remove completely in about 10 min. and stores in a carry bag. The manufacturer guarantees speed up to 60 mph (might have to verify that on web-site). I run mine at 50mph all the time with no problem.  

Post up some pics when you get done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey again - so thanks to your recommendations I went ahead and ordered a bimini through Hertzog. After discussing with him I decided to trust that he knows these PFs best and to not mess with any custom dimensions for fear something not coming out right. Again, the primary need for this top is to provide the family with shade. For my 2005 PF 22TE, he's building me a 4 bow heavy duty aluminum frame top that measures 9ft long and 82 inches above the deck. It will come with a series of nylon straps to secure it and accon quick release mounts. It will be a few weeks before it's ready. Please let me know if anyone has any comments on those dimensions but my understanding from speaking to him was that was the standard size for this boat and anything different would sort of be an experiment! I thought about going a little taller and longer but worry it may make for a funny look and fit! Thanks all.

GW

Sounds like the same one Phil made for me. I’m happy with the height (I’m 6’2” and never have to crouch to get around), and I had him install it a few inches forward to maximize the family shade. He also put the Velcro slits in the top so I can use the console rod storage holders. Very Glad I did.......good feature!

The top has been at 55mph plus and steady as a rock when tethered up.

Wife and kids will love it!  You will love fishing the flats without a top.....unrestricted casting!

Enjoy!

Thanks Frozen. Good idea on having it installed a few inches forward. Another issue I just thought of...my navigation beacon light is a pole mount that inserts right on top of my console dash. What is the solution for this if I find myself boating at night? Do I really have to lower the bimini each time so the light is visible or has anyone found a work-around solution?

gwojnow,

No big deal un-clipping the 4 straps (two forward mains, and two forward cross straps) anytime. Leave the two rear straps clipped in always. OR with Phil doing his magic, he could put a Velcro slot right over the anchor light rod socket. Might have to buy a longer anchor light to clear the tall top.

Me thinks you are over thinking this. You will love it!

We have a T-Top now, but this is a picture of our Bimini before.  It definitely had a lot more shade than the t-top now has.  

When it comes to laying it out, I did mine so that when folded on the back deck, I could still open the livewell and also the release well.  It was tight but worked.  The one thing I should have done different was mount the strap clips to top of gunnel versus the inside.  The clips would make a beating sound against the gunnel when driving at speed. and you can see in the picture the two center straps that mounted to the center console.  These kept it from swaying back and forth.

When i did some work to my console, I  moved my anchor light to far corner of console and was able to slip it through the zipper slit for rod tips.  Needed to get an extra long extendable one to get high enough though.  As you kind of see from me, driving, it was a little low on the sides to have complete visibility when standing to drive, but it also made a lot of shade.  We would regularly go scalloping with 8 people and everyone could get in the shade if needed.  Even the back side of the front two side hatches were in the shade.  

IMG_4491.JPG.46d4cb6c6173f842ca4ec444ca6baa7f.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, gwojnow said:

Hey again - so thanks to your recommendations I went ahead and ordered a bimini through Hertzog. After discussing with him I decided to trust that he knows these PFs best and to not mess with any custom dimensions for fear something not coming out right. Again, the primary need for this top is to provide the family with shade. For my 2005 PF 22TE, he's building me a 4 bow heavy duty aluminum frame top that measures 9ft long and 82 inches above the deck. It will come with a series of nylon straps to secure it and accon quick release mounts. It will be a few weeks before it's ready. Please let me know if anyone has any comments on those dimensions but my understanding from speaking to him was that was the standard size for this boat and anything different would sort of be an experiment! I thought about going a little taller and longer but worry it may make for a funny look and fit! Thanks all.

GW

Was wondering how the Bimini has worked out for you?

can you post a pic and the cost?

We are very happy with the bimini top that Hertzog Canvas did for us. It took about 2 months to complete from order and I had to trailer the boat from north Broward to Jupiter as he doesn't drive far from his shop. Quality of work is great and total cost came out to about $1,200. It's been a game changer for our young family and allows us to spend more time on the water so can't put a price on that!

1954634100_IMG_2907(002).jpg.4b917006112402af1256316a906cb29d.jpg

• Like 1