Garmin charting

fin-addict

This might be a little long but felt it should be shared to Garmin users. Just purchased a 74cv echo chip with 4.2 software. Like the unit very much. Came with g2 charting. They have come out now with the g3 charting. Anyone having the earlier software can down load the new software from their computer using a SD card and then download into unit and then remove card. If you cannot download from computer Garmin will send you a SD card to download into unit then remove it. This needs to be done to download the g3 charts. Contact Garmin for instructions for downloading the g3 or ask them to send you the new g3 SD card. The new card MUST be kept in the unit for the g3 to work. It will not download and store in unit. Told this is for all older units that will accept the new g3 charting. The g3 SD is free for units under one year old. Older units, the card is $30. 

Hope this information helps some of you. To have this all done the unit must have been registered online with Garmin which is a PIA. Both I and others are having problems with online registering. I you also have this problem, call them and they will walk you through the process while doing it. The wait time is over an hour so you can leave your number and not loose you place in line. Have to say their tech support is excellent and will take all the time needed to help you. Even if it is to setup your unit while on the boat as they did for a friend who knew nothing about a gps.

😃fin

this should have been posted a week ago. Do not know why it didn’t go through.

as of today my thoughts of garmin has compleatly changed. Yes their tech support is excellent but customer service ***. New unit arrive with a bad card reader. Was not able to download new 4.3 software using sd card sent by them. Sending me new head unit, not the 74cv chirp ECHOMAP  because they have been discontinued and they have none. Sending me a 74dv which is and older model and it is REFURBISHED. Will accept the new 4.3 update softwhere and g3 update charting software. Not happy. Friend with a one year old cv received brand new g3 map card not and update card. They have made 4 errors in processing this new order. Claims their error but I’m stuck with an older unit. You would think they would give me a 74cv plus and eat the 100. Difference. FYI new units do not have the snap in cradles, went back to the older surface mounting and plugs in back of unit and not on cradle and difference transducer. Would have to pay a few hundred to have the plus unit installed. Friend has also been having problems with garmin. WILL NEVER BUY GARMIN AGAIN, sorry for the recant but enough is enough being jerked around. 😡fin

20 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

This might be a little long but felt it should be shared to Garmin users. Just purchased a 74cv echo chip with 4.2 software. Like the unit very much. Came with g2 charting. They have come out now with the g3 charting. Anyone having the earlier software can down load the new software from their computer using a SD card and then download into unit and then remove card. If you cannot download from computer Garmin will send you a SD card to download into unit then remove it. This needs to be done to download the g3 charts. Contact Garmin for instructions for downloading the g3 or ask them to send you the new g3 SD card. The new card MUST be kept in the unit for the g3 to work. It will not download and store in unit. Told this is for all older units that will accept the new g3 charting. The g3 SD is free for units under one year old. Older units, the card is $30. 

Hope this information helps some of you. To have this all done the unit must have been registered online with Garmin which is a PIA. Both I and others are having problems with online registering. I you also have this problem, call them and they will walk you through the process while doing it. The wait time is over an hour so you can leave your number and not loose you place in line. Have to say their tech support is excellent and will take all the time needed to help you. Even if it is to setup your unit while on the boat as they did for a friend who knew nothing about a gps.

😃fin

this should have been posted a week ago. Do not know why it didn’t go through.

as of today my thoughts of garmin has compleatly changed. Yes their tech support is excellent but customer service ***. New unit arrive with a bad card reader. Was not able to download new 4.3 software using sd card sent by them. Sending me new head unit, not the 74cv chirp ECHOMAP  because they have been discontinued and they have none. Sending me a 74dv which is and older model and it is REFURBISHED. Will accept the new 4.3 update softwhere and g3 update charting software. Not happy. Friend with a one year old cv received brand new g3 map card not and update card. They have made 4 errors in processing this new order. Claims their error but I’m stuck with an older unit. You would think they would give me a 74cv plus and eat the 100. Difference. FYI new units do not have the snap in cradles, went back to the older surface mounting and plugs in back of unit and not on cradle and difference transducer. Would have to pay a few hundred to have the plus unit installed. Friend has also been having problems with garmin. WILL NEVER BUY GARMIN AGAIN, sorry for the recant but enough is enough being jerked around. 😡fin

Here is my experance with the G3 and Garmin .

Have longed for this update for months .

I checked on their website , to make sure my older 740s , was compatable , for this G3.

It clearly stayted that it was .

Got it , installed it , and it was complete garbage .

Nothing worked .

Reread your post , and realized I needed to update software to 4.3.

Ordered the update from Garmin.

Installed the update.

Put in G3 and nothing .

GARBAGE 

Called Garmin , and the tech stated that my unit , being older , was not fully compatable , it would only do very limited things .

Well after telling them , their website fully stated that it was compatable , he put me on another 30 min hold .

When he came back , he told me that I was 100% correct and their webpage should of stated that .

His supervisor was very appologetic , and asked me how Garmin can help .

Long story short ... I still won’t habe a Simrad with FMT yet .

Garmin took a 100% refund on the G3 vision card and is sending me a 2019 Echomap plus 74sv with G-3 preloaded for $150 more than the price of the G-3 Vision card was .

🙏🏻 We will see 🙏🏻

🇺🇸☠️

Called WM who I bought the unit from with extended wty. Would be happy to replace my unit for free but no stores have them due to being discontinued. Offered me a complete refund to upgrade to a 74cv plus and an extra $100. Needed for the upgrade. Would have gladly done it but would have cost several hundred for haul out as trans user would have to be change as would the flush mounting. Not using power cradle anymore, back to plug in in back of unit. Just have to accept what it is. Not a happy camper at all

I have thrown in the towel on Garmin as well. Studied you tube to see what's next and want FMT ability and found the latest Lowrance HDS Live in 9" for 1650.00 with the brand new 3 in 1 transducer included from place in Kansas called Russell Marine Products.  They have huge presence on you tube. No tax no shipping to Florida. Made the move. Garmin coming off this weekend in hopes the Lowrance arrives Monday or Tuesday. My first go with Lowrance but couldn't pass the price for the latest tech so will post up my experience as I go. 

21 hours ago, Coto said:

Ran my my new Lowrance Elite-9 Ti2 with the FMT chip today in the ENP back country and could not be happier it is night and day compared to Garmin.

triplec you will be very satisfied.

The screen shots and commentary on the Garmin G3 are starting to roll out on the blogs.  I have seen not a single positive comment on it yet.  All seem to be very disappointed for various reasons.  Some find no change, some find minimal changes that do nothing for them and some find the updated imagery a total mess.  Here is a an example of G3 imagery.  One is of near Everglades City and the other up near Maryland.  Wow -- it really is awful.  I imagine this new release is going to go over like a ton of bricks for all inshore Garmin users hoping their previous map woes would be solved.

garmin g3.jpg

22F115AA-CACA-4F10-B062-5C619FFFC682.thumb.png.651a308ea805674e6bf7b74efd22f8b1.png

To be honest, I don't think GARMIN is too worried about a bunch of florida zealot flats fisherman....

First, they are based in Switzerland....what do the Swiss know about flats fishing ?  Second, there are a lot more potential customers int he Outdoor and fitness segment than Marine and flats fishing is a very small segment of the overall fishing industry.....just because everyone here is obsessed, doesn't mean the rest of the world cares (LOL).......if you look at their gross profit and advertising....Marine is a small portion of a much bigger picture....if they loose a few flats fisherman, they aren't going to worry :)

their larger units for offshore around the world, are probably working for intended use......I don't think a cruise ship  or a freighter is worried about whether they are in the mangroves or just not he bank :)

See below......

Gross Profit

52-weeks ended December 30, 2017     53-weeks ended December 31, 2016     Year over Year  
    Gross Profit     % of Revenues     Gross Profit     % of Revenues     $ Change     % Change  
Outdoor   $ 448,410       64 %   $ 340,504       62 %   $ 107,906       32 %
Fitness     422,636       55 %     437,205       53 %     (14,569 )     -3 %
Marine     212,592       57 %     183,709       55 %     28,883       16 %
Auto     327,921       44 %     388,747       44 %     (60,826 )     -16 %
Aviation     371,605       74 %     329,405       75 %     42,200       13 %
Total   $ 1,783,164       58 %   $ 1,679,570       56 %   $ 103,594       6 %

Gross profit dollars in the 52-weeks ended December 30, 2017 increased 6% while gross profit margin increased 210 basis points compared to the 53-weeks ended December 31, 2016. Growth in sales of higher margin segments contributed to the increase in gross profit dollars and gross margin percentage. Outdoor, fitness, and marine segment increases to gross profit margin were primarily due to product mix within those segments. Auto and aviation segment gross margin rates were relatively consistent between fiscal periods.

Advertising Expenses

52-weeks ended December 30, 2017     53-weeks ended December 31, 2016        
    Advertising           Advertising           Year over Year  
    Expense     % of Revenues     Expense     % of Revenues     $ Change     % Change  
Outdoor   $ 41,113       6 %   $ 31,005       6 %   $ 10,108       33 %
Fitness     75,660       10 %     90,871       11 %     (15,211 )     -17 %
Marine     16,101       4 %     15,516       5 %     585       4 %
Auto     25,639       3 %     33,122       4 %     (7,483 )     -23 %
Aviation     6,180       1 %     6,629       2 %     (449 )     -7 %
Total   $ 164,693       5 %   $ 177,143       6 %   $ (12,450 )     -7 %

Yes we are ocd about are inshore charting, lol. From the coloring book picture the g2 looks better but my friend has installed the g3, not bad but not big difference in chart. Other information a bit better. My biggest complaint is lack of information as given on paper charts as in lighted marker and and such for persons running in new areas. The chart shows what I need to know but thinking of other users. Again, last time buying a garmin gps. ☹️Fin

Yeah.. I agree with Capt. Dewalt.  Garmin probably doesn't care much about any of this.  In their big picture it doesn't amount to much.   Losing a few thousand inshore customers a few boat mfgs is not significant.  They appear to be more concerned about the deeper water rigs where their map detail is on par with the other charts.

But it is sad to see such poor quality continuing to be delivered in tow with all the marketing hype from them.   No matter how you slice it, the Garmin charts inshore are horrible on accuracy and detail and the photos are a complete disaster.  If I was a Garmin employee or management type I would be embarrassed to deliver that to the market regardless of what the reported financials look like.  If they fixed the maps the reported numbers would be that much better.  Perhaps they figure it will cost more to address the problems than the anticipated losses by not doing so.

Archived