Hello, 4-Stroke....

HewesYourDaddy

Well, I got her home today. A severe cleaning is in order after being out in the weather for almost 3 weeks.  Lots of leaves, pollen, dust...... I’ve got a few things I want to tidy up over the next week or so, but I’m gonna take her for a spin sometime tomorrow. First item on the list is to get a rigging hose to cover the wires and lines coming out of the engine (this was a slightly used engine that didn’t have the rigging hose avail after removal and the shop didn’t have a Suzuki part to do it. No biggie). Prop testing after that. 

CAC80B49-6F86-4914-B553-097191FBD769.jpeg

What’s really bad is that I just spent an hour or so with a small brush and a spray bottle of PurplePower cleaning up under the mounting bracket and around the trim unit. Gave it a good wash, and after it dries indoors tonight, I will wax the heck out of it tomorrow. It won’t even look the same as when I towed it home. I’m so OCD! 

12 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

What’s really bad is that I just spent an hour or so with a small brush and a spray bottle of PurplePower cleaning up under the mounting bracket and around the trim unit. Gave it a good wash, and after it dries indoors tonight, I will wax the heck out of it tomorrow. It won’t even look the same as when I towed it home. I’m so OCD! 

Nothing wrong with that. When it's cool out in the evening like it has been, I get under the cover on my boat and detail the interior and wax it all. I like to have it ready for the summer beating with the wife, kid, and friends. Not to mention, I don't enjoy buffing and waxing nearly as much when it's 100* outside. I need to close my pole barn in and air condition it, that way my rig will actually dry out too.

1 minute ago, BradM said:

Nothing wrong with that. When it's cool out in the evening like it has been, I get under the cover on my boat and detail the interior and wax it all. I like to have it ready for the summer beating with the wife, kid, and friends. Not to mention, I don't enjoy buffing and waxing nearly as much when it's 100* outside. I need to close my pole barn in and air condition it, that way my rig will actually dry out too.

Brad, luckily my shop is enclosed. No A/C though! I just open the doors on both ends and get a nice breeze flowing thru, and then hit it with the polisher. Makes for an envious shine when you park it next to the others at the sandbar!  Engine is done.....

FEDDBDC2-D4C2-47E7-83C0-08A456970861.jpeg

Alright, I got about 4 hrs of run time on the new engine today. After running at idle+ for about 30 min, I got on plane and ran about 4500 for a bit and ran out what I believe was a little water in the fuel. Got that gone and I was good to go. A much different beast than the 130 Yamaha 2-stroke! A little harder to get out of the hole (I attribute that to the aluminum 3 blade) and doesn't accept much trim or tabs before blowing out, but throttle response was great. The 3x14x19 prop is not near enough on this hull. I pushed it to 5700rpm @ 34mph with LOTS of throttle left to give it. I also noticed this engine handles jack plate height MUCH better than the other engine did at lower speed. No noticeable ride height difference. I did run thru a very shallow creek (1.2 FT) on the depthfinder, churned some mud, and had much better thrust and command of the boat at full jack plate height. Very pleased with that.

5 hours ago, BradM said:

That’s awesome! I’d guess you have a 48-49 mph boat, maybe more. The control and handling are where it’s at though. Can’t wait to hear how she’s does when dialed in. 

Brad, I would be thrilled to see those kind of speeds! One thing I did notice yesterday when running the boat, (and I'm not sure if it was a function of the prop, the engine, or both) was that it handled and rode very much like a V hull and not a tunnel. Just my observation, and I don't know if that will change with prop set up. I did enjoy not having to play with trim as much though. With the other set up, I was always adjusting tabs, engine trim, jack plate height, etc... 

Now that I'm really thinking about it, I wonder If the boat was running better because I don't have a serious stern lifting prop on it. Take out the factors of hole shot and prop blowout (grip in turns, mostly), and I wonder if there isn't a happy medium? Was I getting so much stern lift from my previous prop that I was fighting a constant "bow-down" trim angle????  Aside from not being in correct RPM range, is there a prop (3 or 4 blade) that would be a happy medium? That is the goal now.....   Whew! Way too much thinking for 5 am.

4 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Brad, I would be thrilled to see those kind of speeds! One thing I did notice yesterday when running the boat, (and I'm not sure if it was a function of the prop, the engine, or both) was that it handled and rode very much like a V hull and not a tunnel. Just my observation, and I don't know if that will change with prop set up. I did enjoy not having to play with trim as much though. With the other set up, I was always adjusting tabs, engine trim, jack plate height, etc... 

Now that I'm really thinking about it, I wonder If the boat was running better because I don't have a serious stern lifting prop on it. Take out the factors of hole shot and prop blowout (grip in turns, mostly), and I wonder if there isn't a happy medium? Was I getting so much stern lift from my previous prop that I was fighting a constant "bow-down" trim angle????  Aside from not being in correct RPM range, is there a prop (3 or 4 blade) that would be a happy medium? That is the goal now.....   Whew! Way too much thinking for 5 am.

A prop can really change the ride and tuning a tunnel can be tough.  I'd probably try to find some guys from Louisiana or Texas that run the real skinny and see what props they run.   

I used to have a big 18' tunnel flats boat - was very similar in size to my MA in terms of width.   It was a booger to get propped right and I gave up on it.   Sold it to a friend who finally solved it by getting the prop cupped.   IT was an entirely new boat after that - and I have regretted selling it ever since!

7 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Yes, OFX series are great for the Pathy's....

dc

That's what I've heard. My gear case size won't let me put a 15' diameter prop on it. I talked to Marcus at PT yesterday for a while and after all the info I gave to him about how it ran on the new engine , he thinks the PTR4 will be a good choice. I don't need the extreme stern lift like the flats guys need, but I need the grip in turns. this prop is a happy medium. We shall see....

This is just speculation, coming from a recovering propaholic... but a Mercury Trophy Plus (13 3/4" diameter) 4-blade would be on my short list of props to try.  21 pitch with a Mercury Flo-Torq II hub kit, part # 835283Q2.  Maybe a 19 pitch.  You never know until you try.  It says a lot when the Mercury Propellers Brand Manager uses this prop on his personal boat!

45 minutes ago, geeviam said:

This is just speculation, coming from a recovering propaholic... but a Mercury Trophy Plus (13 3/4" diameter) 4-blade would be on my short list of props to try.  21 pitch with a Mercury Flo-Torq II hub kit, part # 835283Q2.  Maybe a 19 pitch.  You never know until you try.  It says a lot when the Mercury Propellers Brand Manager uses this prop on his personal boat!

You guys are killing me with all of the choices out there.....!

Archived