Garmin Update

fin-addict

This might be a little long but felt it should be shared to Garmin users. Just purchased a 74cv echo chip with 4.2 software. Like the unit very much. Came with g2 charting. They have come out now with the g3 charting. Anyone having the earlier software can down load the new software from their computer using a SD card and then download into unit and then remove card. If you cannot download from computer Garmin will send you a SD card to download into unit then remove it. This needs to be done to download the g3 charts. Contact Garmin for instructions for downloading the g3 or ask them to send you the new g3 SD card. The new card MUST be kept in the unit for the g3 to work. It will not download and store in unit. Told this is for all older units that will accept the new g3 charting. The g3 SD is free for units under one year old. Older units, the card is $30. 

Hope this information helps some of you. To have this all done the unit must have been registered online with Garmin which is a PIA. Both I and others are having problems with online registering. I you also have this problem, call them and they will walk you through the process while doing it. The wait time is over an hour so you can leave your number and not loose you place in line. Have to say their tech support is excellent and will take all the time needed to help you. Even if it is to setup your unit while on the boat as they did for a friend who knew nothing about a gps.

😃fin

18 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

I ordered the G3 card from GPS STORE today .

It covers most of the state .

Its not FMT , but have always liked the Navionics charts better than the bacic Garmin maps .

Birthday present to myself !

Yippie 🇺🇸☠️

Happy birthday to me , are you going to act surprised 😮 when the G3 card arrives ? 

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

I ordered the G3 card from GPS STORE today .

It covers most of the state .

Its not FMT , but have always liked the Navionics charts better than the bacic Garmin maps .

Birthday present to myself !

Yippie 🇺🇸☠️

Hi Ralph.

Which one did you get?  I have a Garmin Echo Chirp 74SV with a G2 card.  

Looks like G3 card has some nice features.  Think the card I would get is Keys to Texas for this coast.

Happy Birthday sir.

Joe 

Funny you guys bring up the 7xv series of Garmin. I have been contemplating using a NMEA200 connection between my engine and Nav unit for engine data. I happened to be looking at the box on my 74DV and realized it does not have NMEA 2000 capability, but has a lesser NMEA interface (for VHF?). I will dive into this and get more info in the near future, but it looks like I may have a Garmin coming off the boat and for sale at some point.

Ralph, let us us know how the imagery for the 10,000k islands looks like. I had emailed Brandon from Garmin's cartography dept. to send me some screen shots and I was not impressed, it was nowhere near the FMT quality. I was really hoping Garmin would have stepped up their game so I would not have to switch my gps for a different brand. Could you post up some screen shots when you get it just in case he sent me something else. I was pretty specific when I told him what I wanted to see.

Thanks

My old unit is not a high resolution screen like the new units , so I would not be expecting HD imagery .

I actually do not like anything except the basics .

Navionics Platnium chip is vastly superior to the basic Garmin maps , and if that is what I achieve , I will be very happy .

Have never liked the Google overlays.

BUT ...

I will most definately check it out and post up what there is to offer .

I am like you , and cannot justify spending 2k and hours of labor .

I’ m like push in a card , and fish .

🇺🇸☠️

16 minutes ago, Coto said:

Ralph, let us us know how the imagery for the 10,000k islands looks like. I had emailed Brandon from Garmin's cartography dept. to send me some screen shots and I was not impressed, it was nowhere near the FMT quality. I was really hoping Garmin would have stepped up their game so I would not have to switch my gps for a different brand. Could you post up some screen shots when you get it just in case he sent me something else. I was pretty specific when I told him what I wanted to see.

Thanks

Be cautious giving your opinion on FMT on this forum. You could be put in timeout or have a deleted post for voicing your opinion. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Youd almost think these guys have their hand in the cookie jar with Garmin...if ya know what I mean....

I was disappointed with with Garmin with my last couple of units their mapping was not the same. One specific example was browns creek. On my older Garmins it would show. On the new Garmins with the prealoaded blue charts it does not exist it just shows green land. The same with Tyler creek.

maybe the new G3 non imagery map might show browns creek if it does that is a little bit of improvement.

4 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Even more surprised when my new Spitfire X7 shows up on the same day .

Probably be eating grumble soup n cold sholder for a while , but  this to shall pass .

🇺🇸☠️

Ha birthday boy did you order vent plugs with the X-7 prop ? Sounds like you are going to have a great birthday ,  you don’t need to eat everyday . 

49 minutes ago, dabear said:

Ha birthday boy did you order vent plugs with the X-7 prop ? Sounds like you are going to have a great birthday ,  you don’t need to eat everyday . 

Joe

Does the Spitfire come with the thrust washer to fit the Yamaha or do I need to source one ?

Thanks

🇺🇸☠️

My Spitefire came with a Yamaha hub kit the kit had everything I needed to install the Merc prop on my Yamaha VF115 . Washer on the front between prop and lower unit hard plastic looking hub insert rear trust washer between prop and nut new nut and a new pin was all included in the hub kit . The Merc to Yamaha hub does have a hair more play in the prop than any other hub insert that I have seen . 

5 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Does the Spitfire come with the thrust washer to fit the Yamaha or do I need to source one ?

Ralph, the standard hub kit that comes in the box with the Spitfire X7 is a Mercury hub kit (see picture of box label)  The Flo-Torq hub kit I ordered for Yamaha fitment is part # 835271Q09

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p.jpg

18 hours ago, heweymagoos said:

Be cautious giving your opinion on FMT on this forum. You could be put in timeout or have a deleted post for voicing your opinion. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Youd almost think these guys have their hand in the cookie jar with Garmin...if ya know what I mean....

Sir

Discuss and critique any brand you wish! We draw the line when it becomes personal! Friendly debate is permissible, but when the discussion becomes a direct or indirect personal attack, we will take action. And if you wish to discuss this further you are welcome to PM us! And in closing, if you wish to be accusatory you are also welcome to discuss your views directly to Mods or Administration!

Moderator 2 "Bubba" 

20 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Funny you guys bring up the 7xv series of Garmin. I have been contemplating using a NMEA200 connection between my engine and Nav unit for engine data. I happened to be looking at the box on my 74DV and realized it does not have NMEA 2000 capability, but has a lesser NMEA interface (for VHF?). I will dive into this and get more info in the near future, but it looks like I may have a Garmin coming off the boat and for sale at some point.

I just got the 74cv  ECHOMAP Chirp and it does carry the NMEA 2000 connection for engine as I have read and been told not that I would use it. The charting is much better with the g3 than the g2. G3 is from Navionics. Fin

Archived