WTB Pathfinder 2200 budget $20k

q0rban

I'm looking for a 2200 or 2400 Pathfinder. My budget is around $20k, so older years is what I'm looking at. I am located near Atlanta, but boats located in Florida are ok. I've seen most of what's on Craigslist in the southeast, so no need to post those here.

Must haves:

• Trailer
  • Well maintained, solid engine

Like to haves:

• T-top
  • Trim tabs
  • Trolling motor
  • Decent depth finder

Icing:

• 4 stroke
  • Jack plate
  • Structure scan
  • Third row seating

I'm okay with some work, but don't want a big project boat. Budget is pretty firm, but do have some wiggle room for more if it's been recently re-powered.

Thank you!

Geez, folks, I wasn't expecting to have to justify myself here. 

There's a 2001 2200v near me that's asking $21k. Maybe this is petty, but it's maroon, which I think is quite unsightly on a boat. If he finds the right buyer, he'll probably get $19k for it.

There's a 2003 in Tampa that's asking $18.5k, but the engine seems like it's been maintained poorly.

There's a 2001 in Ft. Myers that I was just under contract on and walked away from that has a 2015 200hp 4 stroke Suzuki. It needed a complete rewire and re-plumb, and unfortunately I don't have the extra time and money for a project right now. Surveyor appraised it at $19.7k. 

There's a 2005 in Miami that's asking $23k, but the guy doesn't have the title transferred and won't get it until he has a buyer. I'm not getting in my car until the title is in his name, so we are at an impasse.

I posted a WTB on THT and have a few leads there.

There are others.  For some reason or another they either haven't worked out or aren't quite the right fit. Sure, there are some that are out of my budget, and those also have just sat on Craigslist for months without buyers. Call me crazy, but to me that seems to suggest that they are overpriced. I was hoping to broaden the net here. If I'm in the wrong place, asking the wrong question, I apologize. 

Sorry for the rant, I'm already disappointed that the 2001/2015 didn't work out, and wasn't expecting to meet with resistance here. I feel better now. Thank you for listening. 😆

Used boats can be a nightmare sometimes.  And yes... Pathfinders are often overpriced IMO.  Boats will start flying off the shelf in Florida (especially South Florida) real soon as sandbar season is upon us. 

Here is what I know about used boats as I have bought and sold several:

- Have cash in hand!!!  Cash is your best negotiator

- Be willing to drive at any given moment on a fair priced rig.  Don't give someone else time to sneak in and don't give him time to rethink his decision to sell.

- Be willing to walk away from a deal.  If he wont budge on price and wont take a fair cash offer, WALK.  Pathfinders are a dime a dozen.  Another deal will come along. 

- SEATRIAL!  and if he takes you to a lake, drive in circles and create some chop and run through it at speed.  You learn a lot about used boats in chop. 

There is always a deal if you are willing to wait on it for sure. My experance is when you find one priced below the average there is a reason. It may be a reason you are comfortable with. But there will be a reason they are priced 5 grand below the average price. 

Just going to chime in here based on recent experience...finding a $20k 2200v is definitely possible.  I’ve seen several listed for around and less than 20k depending where one looks in the US.  Most are 2001-2003 years with 2 stroke power, usually with trolling motors and other “extras.”

I do agree that there is usually a “reason” a boat it priced under “market value.”  And several of the boats I’ve seen lately that are under “market value” was because the owner simply picked a number, and their number just so happened to be lower than “market.”  It’s a good reason.  They just wanted a certain, reasonable, amount for the boat.

On the flip side, I have seen several boats priced well below NADA value and they sit for months.

I too, am scouring Craigslist, MGB, THT, Boattrader, shopping for a 2200, but a bit newer (2007-2011, $25-35K).

Came across this one, may be too far for you, but I've found a bit more realistic pricing the further west you go.

2002 in Texas asking $15,990.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/kemah-2002-pathfinder-ft-bay-boat/6834382778.html

Hang in there, use NADA as a pricing guide as it's what most banks use, and it's fairly accurate as long as you have a realistic seller.

I'd gladly pay NADA for a good, clean boat, and have seen plenty of examples sell there.

Just not willing to pay the $5-10K premium some sellers are seeking.

Make sure to add value for items not on NADAs list of standardized options (example; trolling motors).

Best of luck, you'll find one...

I am not trying to beat you guys up for shopping for a deal. There is always the one off that the seller needs gone or has on issue that is a easy fix. I always say there is always a deal it your willing to wait and look for it. I have found the best way to find the deal of a lifetime is to buy a boat. Tomorrow the deal will be all over the net.

With all that said you can throw NADA priceing around all day long. Most guys with nice boats will not give a hoot how u come up with the rest of the money. I promise if you could buy quality boats at NADA all day long and re sell them you could quit your day job.

For those wondering how NADA might factor into your purchase price, here's how my recent surveyor calculated the valuation of the PF I was under contract on. Note, Method D is By seller listings, not boats that have sold at that price.

251657192_pathfinder-q0rban@gmail.com-Gmail2019-03-1312-39-49.png.3e743ac9ef18485adfbbb9d3db217aaa.png

My buddy bought a 22 TE that was listed here last year. Lots of hours on an F-150 and an unsightly repair on the hull. The wiring wasn’t the best either. He put some elbow grease into and cleaned up the wiring....I think he got it for 14,5. He absolutely loves it! Your deal is out there and I can’t tell you anything that hasn’t been said. Boat prices are going up in FL and the deals will be west. Have cash and be ready for a road trip at a moments notice. 

I bought my old 19 from a guy who got mad at his son for fishing every day. I just found the bill of sale the other day....10,5 for a clean, 2nd owner boat with low hours and all the accessories, less power pole. 

It’s like looking for and finding the perfect woman, or perfect dog, or perfect shotgun, or perfect Harley.....timing is everything, you combine timing with opportunity and it works out fine. You’ll find your perfect boat.....just be patient and keep looking. 

If you come across a deal that just seems to good to be true.....that’s probably exactly what it is....to good to be true 🎣 JJ

I have a buddy just about to list  his ‘03 that checks a lot of your boxes. In good shape and he takes good care of his stuff.   

It has a 150 Vmax, which in my opinion is the motor you want in your price range.  I had exact same set up and felt it was a great power to weight ratio. 

After having a few of these myself, I highly recommend you stay ‘03 and up for the improved deck layout and drainage.  You will read about drainage issues on the newer boats, but if you notice it’s the big block hpdi’s and 4 strokes mostly having these issues which is why I am a fan of the 150 2 stroke on this boat.  I bought raubuds for mine but never installed them because my deck stayed dry all the time  

I will pm you his #

6 minutes ago, q0rban said:

Thank you @justfish and @waterman7474 and everyone else who's responded! I keep hitting the Like button on your posts, but it doesn't work, so just know that I appreciate the helpful responses.

FWIW, I am also in the Seabrook area so I might be able to get over to that one and put an eye on it if you would like.  I think I know where it is but you could confirm that I might could this weekend.  I have a feeling it is the pathfinder dealer. 

Thanks to all who've helped, I am now an owner of a 2000 PF 2200v with Yamaha 150 vmax, t-top, power pole, outriggers, and trailer. For all the early doubters in the thread, $17.5k was the final price. Special thanks to @KayakMacGyver for finding the boat and PMing it to me!

Nice looking sled!! I bought my '04 2200v a couple years back with a 150 yama-hammer 4 stroke, 600 hours and a few bumps and dings for $17k. Rebuilt the trailer, upgraded the electronics and did some wiring work on her.. Should be able to easily get my money back and damnit it was fun seeing her turn the corner to what she is today. Enjoy your new ride!!!

IMG_4444.jpg

Archived