Best years for 22 TE

bjgiii

I’m starting to look for a new boat, but I’m not going to buy new. I’ve always love the 22 TE. I know some of the earlier years had some issues with water backing up into the boat. What in your opinion is the best years for the 22 TE besides brand new?

Everyone has their  reasons  and expectations in a boat.

I have a 04 22Te with 04 200 vmax.

When people  fish with  me  for the first time they ask where to sit. My response is  hold on we are going fishing not riding as I put it to the floor.

I have raybuds that help with water intrusion but does not eliminate it.  Then again I am fishing.

As a pure fishing platform 04 thru 06 are in my mind the best. Plenty of  bait wells nice wide sturdy gunnels to walk and add rod holders. Roomy front and aft decks that don't flip because there is a seat wanting the wife to sit. The freeboard  is slightly lower making it easier to land the fish.

So my reasons and expectations are centered around  fishing not keeping the wife comfortable a piddly 20% of the time. Always remember to buy for the 80% that you will be using it.

• Like 1

I have a 14. The first year of the current design. I came from an 08, pathfinder 20. The fit and finish of the 14 was head and shoulders over the 08. I like the fact that you can carry gaffs and rods under the gunnel. I like the bigger console but hate the lack of cup holders on it. You can mount more on this console compared to the old one so keep that in mind. The 14 is a lot heavier than the older models so it is not as quick but I think it’s a little more comfortable in a seaway. I ended up adding ray buds and pulling out the cockpit drain check valves since they always clog up with crap. No water intrusion.

good luck with you search. 

I have an 06 and the rabuds completely solved the water intrusion problem. I only wish I didn’t wait so long to put them on. I absolutely love the boat and will never sell her. Just put a full tower with second station on last year. There is an 06 for sale on Florida sportsman forum classifieds. Good luck 

11 hours ago, bernieNC said:

Believe it was 2014. I owned one. Never had an issue with water in the deck. 

With that being said. I wish I had never sold the 2014 TE. The redesign is a way nice boat inside and out. if you can spring for the TRS or TE go for it. Huge upgrade. over the older years. 

21 minutes ago, Dobey1 said:

Believe it was 2014. I owned one. Never had an issue with water in the deck. 

With that being said. I wish I had never sold the 2014 TE. The redesign is a way nice boat inside and out. if you can spring for the TRS or TE go for it. Huge upgrade. over the older years. 

They started delivering second half of ‘13 so they probably were branded as ‘14.

9 hours ago, bernieNC said:

They started delivering second half of ‘13 so they probably were branded as ‘14.

Mine was delivered in September 2013. Never had a problem with water backing in. 

The only problems I have had was the battery switch falling apart after six months, had to replace all the cheap switches and the compass fell apart. 

On 3/13/2019 at 10:00 AM, fishingfool485 said:

1 have a 2008 TE since new. Presently my feet have never been wet  since purchased. I probably have about 1200 hrs on my f250. I love this boat and couldn’t be happier. Eventually I will pass it down to my son. 

X2.....same year, motor, and hours. Nothing has gone seriously wrong with either. Feet are dry!

The initial redesign for the wet feet issue was 2007 when they raised the floor and went to a 25” transom. I had a 2006 TE and it was a great boat. I installed rabuds once I realized it was an issue and they pretty much eliminated the wet feet issue. If I were to down size it would be to a pre 2006 22 TE. A 250 SHO on the older hull should get you low/mid 60s. Mine with the 250hpdi would run 60 all day long with ttop.

Find the best 22TE for the best price !  The water comes back onto the deck when crud gets in the check valves, and they leak.  Rabuds solve the issue. 

Short of this, you can clear the check valves with a hose from inside the cockpit. To really clear the drain lines out.. tilt the bow up some. Put a hose running in the boat.. Put the hose from your wetvac on the outside of the drain flappers.. Of course you need to use a GFI circuit for the power cord, and keep the vacuum away from the draining water and splashing. Pull a bunch of water through and get the sand and debris out of the ribbed hose.

Just for grins, clean out the wet vac tank so you can see the things that you clear from the hoses.  I can tell you that mono and cut off knots are the common cause of leaking check valves. Bugs, leaves.. all kinds of stuff gets in there without you knowing.

MM