Trolling Motor Power for a 16'?

Limitless

I'm getting ready to buy a Rhodan and need to know what folks are using on a 16" Redfisher.  The boat is already set up with a house battery and separate battery for a 12 volt TM, so I'm hoping to not have to add a third to go to a 24 volt 80# thrust motor.  I know folks use 80#s and some 55#s -  does the 55# offer enough power??  Thanks for advice and ideas.

I've had three Rhodans.  I would not do a 12v unless it was a jon boat.  The 24 v 80lb is what you need.  One house battery under your console.  Two trolling batteries up front.

Its not good when you run out of juice and with that tiny set up it is likely to happen and then 55 lb is not going to be enough.  80lb is more than enough and its better to have more than you need.

3 hours ago, Egrets Landing said:

I would not do a 12v unless it was a jon boat.  The 24 v 80lb is what you need.  One house battery under your console.  Two trolling batteries up front.

I can sure speak up for the Rhodan 24 and 2 batteries.  Pulls our 18' around like nobody's business and quiet too. We have 2 Type 24's under the console along with the housekeeping battery. Close but no cigar for a pair of Type 27's.  Don't seem to miss the extra poop, even on long days, and having the weight in the console doesn't appear to cause us any issues.

Ive had an 80 rhodan on one of my 16 redfishers and it worked very well. Ive also had the 55lb thrust on a couple of them and while they did fine, if I fished a lot of current (I don't) then I would want to make the jump. Both did fine for fishing the flats.

I will say I like the remote much better on the Minn Kota Ipilot vs the remote on the rhodan. The general 24 volt setup on a 16 redfisher is 2 batteries under the console and 1 in the back hatch, and in my opinion makes the boat much better balanced.

24V is almost always going to be the better choice. That being said, I'll go in on being the one person who downsized from 24V on my last 18 to the 12V MinnKota Edge on my new 16. I've had zero issues and feel like the lighter weight has been a nice change. That 12V pushes my boat with little effort. Good luck with your choice.

Archived