Chassahowitzka river questions

The fishing in and around Chazz is fantastic but the area is Very Very unforgiving. The majority of guides that fish the Chazz Persevere and south run out of Homosassa. If you like to through artificial, Captain Tony Matthews (Old Homosassa Guide Service) will put you on fish. If you send me a PM I can give you some good areas to start outside of Chazz, we fish the area coming from Homosassa. 

Thanks I may do that.

I just discovered the campground but we are at the tail end of "winter".

Its starting to get too hot for the camper, (even with AC and a generator )but it looks really good in Google maps (and challenging).

I love the noise of oysters on my skeg !!

I like challenges !!

I hope I get a really low tide. Best way to learn.

With the HPX-T I can idle in less than 8 inches. However it does look better for an aluminum boat

The potholes and bars look soooo good.

And it's easier to find fish with less water

BTW, 3rd picture down looks like Lake Ingraham in Flamingo

Man!!! I bet the fishing was good that day!!!   It does look like Lake Ingraham, I've been through there on those low tides, were the mud bank is at eye level as you sat on the deck...... Im pretty confident Ingraham is mostly mud, Chazz on the other hand is laced with Limestone. 

I used to fish that area a lot from a air boat and a jon boat. It had some amazing fishing. We used a lot of top waters as there is some weird growth in those feeder creeks. Big snook, reds and trout. We would come from the Bayport ramp and run north. Very seldom see another boat back in there and man did we put some dings in the equipment. You mess up back there ain't no one coming to get ya!

On 3/12/2019 at 7:23 PM, Racinmullet said:

Found some pictures of a winter new moon low with 10-15 knot NE wind in the Chazz Perserve. Using the calibrated eye ball, we estimated about 2-3 feet below 0.0. We saw more snags than ever cared to know about. We did this in a surface drive. 

95FC821F-4106-4160-B776-E8DFF45AA213.jpeg

92D1030E-D4CB-4379-B780-CDD9ED51E59A.jpeg

B0C52B59-1563-41A2-8294-712CE2C22ED7.jpeg

55DD303C-E633-4300-99AC-7FC17AF4D32F.jpeg

A08ED499-E271-4325-BC5B-AD695BF9FA39.jpeg

DCDF983D-232A-4756-BDD1-03BEEE944215.jpeg

wow.. that is really low

This is the time of year we used to fish it a lot. These late cold fronts drive the fish back into those creeks that have the deeper holes with dark bottom.

It was like fishing in a barrel. Used a lot of top water rapala's with the lips on the front so you could drag them down just barely sub surface with a rod twitch.  As I said before there was weird vegetation growths way back in them creeks. The stuff almost looked like grape vines. Kinda of crazy for me but we never fished any live bait. Didn't need it.

I think the growth you are referring to is “Kelp” as the locals say. It’s not Kelp but I think it’s in the Sargassum family. That stuff if a great indicator of bottom structure. I have only ever seen it growing in rock or hard bottom areas. Big trout love to hang in that stuff especially when it mats up heavy. Reminds me of hydrilla when it’s thick. Fishing has been good. These fronts are keeping water temps in a normal spring range. We went out Saturday afternoon on the incoming tide and got 6 nice trout between the 19” and 23” couple under slot reds and a 37” snook. My son caught it on a Mirrodine and it just about whooped him. Water temp Saturday was 70. Hope you catch’em up. 

Wow, congratulations!!!!  

And btw, that vegetation is called mopgrass by the locals, and yes it is a great thing to target trout around.   I used to fish chaz quite a bit.  Place scared the hell out of me as much as it intrigued me.   You can get disoriented in a darned fine hurry out there, even with a GPS, and the consequences can be disasterous.  There are probably more lower units per square mile there than anywhere else in the world, so you were wise to leave that pretty boat of yours at home!    

Archived