1996 Hewes Bayfisher 16 Jackplate Benefits

Hey Everyone, 

Long time lurker on the site and proud to say that I will be picking up my new to me 1996 Bayfisher 16 with a 85 Yamaha. Owned quite a few flats boats and skiff but this will be my first Hewes and I'm stoked its a Lappy!  I'm super excited but had a few questions regarding a Jack Plate situation. 

After looking at quite a few pictures online, it seems that very few of these boats have jackplates installed. Any reason behind this? Porpoising issues? Limited Benefits for the cost? 

I have a brand new TH Micro Jacker I was going to use on another project that I thought would be perfect since the its a low HP engine and well within the weight ratings, but it does have a minimum offset of 4". Here is the kicker, I've also got a 6" Bobs (used) laying around I can use as well, its just a bit heavier. 

I know from past experience that not every hull benefits greatly from a jackplate setup and wanted to see everyone thoughts before bolting it on and investing in a hydraulic steering system. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Archived