Gel Coat Flaking

G8rfisher

Flaking Off?

Gel coat doesn't flake off unless those areas have been reshot and the person spraying didn't prep the pre-existing surfaces properly wherefore not allowing the new gel coat to mechanically bond to the old gel coat.

What's probably happened with the bilge area is that the gl*** was already cured when the gel coat was applied so it never properly bonded.

Get a putty knife and remove as much as possible so a chunk of it doesn't dislodge and get stuck in your bilge pump float not allowing your pump to engage when needed.

"THAT", could become a major problem,

but don't worry, your hull is foam injected throughout the gunnels and bait well areas.

Your boat, shouldn't, :o sink.

When applying new gel coat, the existing gel coat should at a minimum be wiped down with acetone, sanded thoroughly and wiped down again.

It's only the candy wrapping of the shell.

Don't worry about it unless it's driving you nuts.

If the gel coat under water line ever gets damaged to the point it's to the gl***, then, yes, fix ASAP.

it almost seems like overspray gel. i've even though of getting in there and sanding it a bit, then applying marine paint, but meh. it's a fishing boat.

i've blasted most of what was loose on mine off a long time ago.. at least in the deeper part of the boat.. you would have to look very hard to find it. :)

extra liners, extra gel coat, extra hatches, means extra weight.

Archived