Slow Fuel Fill 18 HPX

B2TB

Have a 2014 18 HPX - Have seen several discussions here about this topic so it appears to be a design issue. I can't take it anymore. Yesterday it took 1 hour to get 20 gallons. The tank is in the bow. See  the picture. Occasionally if  someone stands on the starboard side, it will fill quicker.  I only fill the tank on the water .  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

HPX Fuel Tank.png

I have a 23 HPS and it takes 10 to 15 minutes to get the last 10 gallons in.  I very rarely even bother to top it off too much trouble just think of it as having a 53 gal tank instead of a 63.  It seems the problem is the EPA requiring a carbon canister filter that builds up pressure and just keeps clicking off the nozzle.  To save a little gas vapor you end up spilling gas on the ground or the water.       

On 2/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, B2TB said:

Have seen several discussions here about this topic so it appears to be a design issue

Right on.  I'm pretty sure 2014 was the first year the mandatory carbon canister was installed on the overboard vent hose line of all models.  There is supposed to be a flow surge protection valve between the tank and the carbon canister, to keep fuel from surging up the vent hose and saturating the carbon, thus clogging the ventilation.  My 2017 RF 16 didn't have this protection, and fuel filled up the canister and was dripping out the overboard vent in my garage.  Fuel is never supposed to reach the carbon canister and soak the pellets.  If your large fuel fill hose is unobstructed and has no dip in it between the inlet and the tank, for fuel to lay in, you might want to remove the canister from the vent line as a test to see it it fixes the problem.  A 5/8" brass male to male barb coupling, from the plumbing dept at Lowe's, with two SS hose clamps, could be installed in place of the carbon canister for the test.  The problems went away in my case.  Be careful!  Make sure your work area is well ventilated and there is a fan blowing fresh air at you when you work on this.  And of course, no sparks!  Hope this helps.

Here is some info and pics on the aftermarket Perko "In-Hose" fuel flow surge protector that I installed on my RF 16 fuel tank vent line, when I "temporarily" removed the original carbon canister that was ruined by wet fuel saturation, for "testing" purposes.  Afterward, no wet fuel could reach the canister, and did not spit or drip out of the overboard vent again, during fill-up, or even on bumpy, curvy country roads.  I can fill the tank at any station with the fastest pumps, without delay.  The Perko 0553 device is installed in the short piece of hose between the two 90 degree barbed elbows - it must be installed vertically.  There was just enough space above the tank on my rig to do this, so not sure about the space on HPX models.  You have to leave at least a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the Perko 0553 device and the top of the bottom elbow inside the hose to insure good air flow.  Hope this helps.

Perko 0553-1.jpg

Perko 0553.jpg

Fig_0553_Instructions.jpg

0819181631.jpg

0819181631b.jpg

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Here is some info and pics on the aftermarket Perko "In-Hose" fuel flow surge protector that I installed on my RF 16 fuel tank vent line, when I "temporarily" removed the original carbon canister that was ruined by wet fuel saturation, for "testing" purposes.  Afterward, no wet fuel could reach the canister, and did not spit or drip out of the overboard vent again, during fill-up, or even on bumpy, curvy country roads.  I can fill the tank at any station with the fastest pumps, without delay.  The Perko 0553 device is installed in the short piece of hose between the two 90 degree barbed elbows - it must be installed vertically.  There was just enough space above the tank on my rig to do this, so not sure about the space on HPX models.  You have to leave at least a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the Perko 0553 device and the top of the bottom elbow inside the hose to insure good air flow.  Hope this helps.

Perko 0553-1.jpg

Perko 0553.jpg

Fig_0553_Instructions.jpg

0819181631.jpg

0819181631b.jpg

Ummmm - anyone else notice something here?   Geeviam, I think you just took the top prize for "Most anal retentive bilge cleaner in the world" and you, sir, are my idol.   I mean, come on, that thing is clean enough for surgery to be done on!   There are a few hospitals out there that need your guidance!

On 2/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

With all the crappy fuel these days....I've had nothing but problems with the anti-siphon valve.

dc

I haven’t 😎.

Who woulda thought, a stainless steel spring and ball inside an aluminum fitting with an open vent to a salt water/air environment. What could go wrong?

...and yeah, that compartment is ridiculous. That’s like a old fireman’s boat or something. I’ve never seen a reflection on top of a gas tank before. 

16 hours ago, jason p said:

I’ve never seen a reflection on top of a gas tank before. 

That’s because you haven’t seen my tank. 😉 

But I can’t compete with the blinding shine off that hatch gutter! 😎 

My tank fills slow too. But not that slow. It takes me 10-12 mins to pump 20 gals while on the water. A little longer when filling up on my trailer. 

7 hours ago, conocean said:

But I can’t compete with the blinding shine off that hatch gutter!

Hahaha!  Y'all can just keep on pokin' fun at my OCD boat care!  She is my pride and joy, no doubt.  But the truth is, I've put 96 hours on the boat in 2.5 seasons up here on the mountain lakes of SC and that shiny hatch gutter has never been waxed (the hull has).  Living and fishing in the intense sun and salt water of South Florida and The Keys up until age 35, I remember well how much effort went into keeping a boat maintained and looking good.  Compared to then, maintaining this boat and trailer is a piece of cake!  This boat has always been kept in my garage and used only on clear freshwater lakes, since it was new.  It sometimes doesn't even get washed for a few days after a trip to the lake.  I just back in to the garage, unhitch it, and done!  However, all things considered... I will gladly allow some salt spray and a rust spot here and there, to catch the tarpon, redfish, and snook I see in the photos shared on this forum.  I miss that.

cool town.  Spent many summers up on Lake Hartwell not too far down 85 from you.   If you want to get the saltwater feel but no salt, make the trek over to the Roanoke River RIGHT NOW.   Buddies are up there catching 50-100 striper in half a day.  Google TarPam guide service for a taste of it.   

There is a member on here that had the same issue with his.  Someone had dropped a gas can gas cap down the filler hose.  He spent all the money changing the canister and a mechanic found it in a few seconds with a scope.  May be worth the time to see if someone can check it.  

Archived