local knowledge McQueens Inlet GA

topshelf 2

Hi I have a trip planned for 1st week in March in Harris neck GA was looking to fish the inlet (McQueens) & creeks around it , also how is the boat ramp at the harris neck wildlife refuge @ low water to haul out ? any input on this area would be appreciate as it will be new to me . thanks  Top shelf2 can be reached @ 252 732 0831

I’m not sure if it has been fixed.....but, one of the oyster gentleman at Harris Neck told me last year that since the two hurricanes, the dirt had washed out at the end of concrete making it very difficult at dead low because your trailer could fall off the edge and get hung up.

i have not been down there since.....but, maybe Honey B or Hewes Your Daddy would know.  Hope this helps. JJ 

I've never used the ramp there, but be careful regardless. Now, on the subject of getting into McQueen's..... I am THE MASTER at getting in at dead low tide coming in from the north side..... the NEW, BIGGER sandbar in front of the mouth of Cracker Tom Creek inside the inlet is the big problem for me.  Just ask my knee and the surgeon who is going to repair it... This was the infamous day. Notice the bandage on my fishing partner's arm. He ripped it open pretty good on the edge of the windscreen when we came to an abrupt stop.

59AC6B16-DE8B-447D-A139-233D5FCE0FC1.jpeg

7D155CF4-D4BD-4977-A7E5-D2003DAFF1F0.jpeg

1 hour ago, topshelf 2 said:

Thanks for the reply, JJ  & Honey B I been looking @ the sunburry ramp as it's on a deeper creek that might be a better choice for me , what do ya think ? feel free to call me if ya want,  take care of the knees

I think the ramp at Sunbury doesn’t have an issue. I know people that live just up the street and use that ramp regularly and never heard of an issue. I will ask them when I get a chance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm sad to say we only caught a few fish, I think the weather had a lot to do with it as the only day that was good was fri. the last day we had to fish I'm happy that the Tornado that crossed I95 was a few miles North of us .I'm not used to that much tide drop or current I fished the ditches & the grassy Island area thanks for the map 

Bill

1 hour ago, topshelf 2 said:

Thanks again

Capt. Bill......it was certainly a pleasure to meet you and Bill Jr in person down in Sunbury. As a 62 year old Captain myself and spending my entire life on the water on everything from a surfboard to a 65 ft Sportfish boat , the minute I saw you in the 20 ft PF with NC registration numbers, I knew you were an old salt as well as being the Top Shelf that several of us forum members had communicated with. Please don’t hesitate to contact me the next time you come back down in this area. Plan your next visit closer to May and you’ll have more success on the trout and redfish, plus the tripletail will be in the same areas you were fishing. We do have a good fishery here, but it’s more seasonal than Florida waters because the water temp can vary so much depending on if we have a winter or not. Keep in touch ole buddy, JJ

Archived