Prop For 2008 2200XL Yamaha F250

Mike Abby

I just purchased this boat and took it out for this weekend.  Boat performed well, crusing speed and hole shot was good, but low max RPM.  Trolling Motor 4 batts, 2 people and full tank of gas.  Jack plate all the way down.  It was a little choppy.

Propeller Yamaha Series II (15x21)

5000 RPM = 45 mph (MAX)

4500 = 40 mph

3500 = 30 mph.

Based on YDS report boat has never gone over 5000 rpms (original motor).  Prop Suggestions?

5.Data Logger [Engine operating hours according to engine speed]
Engine speed Time[h]        
- 1000 r/min 401.6        
1000 - 2000 r/min 227.4        
2000 - 3000 r/min 34.6        
3000 - 4000 r/min 133.4        
4000 - 5000 r/min 14.9        
5000 - 6000 r/min 0.2        
6000 - 7000 r/min 0        
Engine operating hours 812        

I have some additional data.  It was still pretty choppy 2-3's.  I think I'm going to have to wait for a smooth day for better results.  I think it might be worth while trying a 19 inch prop instead of the 21.

I was able to trim the motor and raise the jack plate to 2 inches with these results:

5300 RPMs = 48 mpg

4 hours ago, Mike Abby said:

I have some additional data.  It was still pretty choppy 2-3's.  I think I'm going to have to wait for a smooth day for better results.  I think it might be worth while trying a 19 inch prop instead of the 21.

I was able to trim the motor and raise the jack plate to 2 inches with these results:

5300 RPMs = 48 mpg

would love 48 mpg.....

I didnt see if you said you had a t top or not.  an 08 xl with a 250 should see 55-56 mph average load and 53ish loaded.  JP height is pretty important on that hull and it likes to be up and not buried when talking about speed.  in a chop i let her sit all the way down though.

Mike,

I have a F250 on an ‘08 2200TE. I do not know the hull differences between yours and mine. With full fuel, and no T-top, I am propped at 6000rpm WOT @ 57mph. I run a PT 4 blade, 21 pitch. I don’t remember the model but Marcus at PT will prop it for you. The max speed run is done once a year by my servicing dealer and young, brave mechanics. I’m too old and wise to go that fast in a boat. These runs are always done with the jack plate all the way down, and engine trimmed slightly. I’m pretty close to the fuel economy, and speed/rpm numbers published by Yamaha for the 2200 TE. I almost never use the JP to trim for speed or RPMs, and leave it down most of the time. I use it a lot for the shallows around here. For whatever reason, the boat steers better overall, and I feel more in control/secure,, especially in light chop, with it down.

Leave the JP down, trim the engine for WOT and see what your speed is. You need closer to 6000 WOT, I think. I think also my PT prop is a slightly smaller diameter.

Hope this helps.

HYD,

I really don’t the know the marine architect answer, but when I went through the process to find a new prop and Tweek the boat, I drove myself nuts playing with the throttle trim and the JP. I was looking for WOT AND the midrange speed/rpms for economy, on several props.  I found I couldn’t replicate the the same combination of settings to compare the props. Then it dawned on me the most boats don’t have JPs, and they use only engine trim to get WOT. So that’s what I did.

Additionally, I spoke to my dealer service mgr, who was in engineering at Yamaha, and he said forget the JP. He does all after-service rides, with all JPs down, to check WOT. Good enough for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I was out Saturday in flats seas with 4 people and a moderate load and the the boat did not perform well.

Max RPM/Speed 4500/35mph

I think there's is an issue with the F250 on this boat.  It runs smooth,  but feels like a 150.  

I'm going to have a tech look at the motor.

Archived