Going Old School in Chokoloskee and 10K's - Don and Dino Adventures

Headed out at 0430 and made our way to Everglades City....stopped at EC Bait and  I had them give me 6 doz hand selects......some great shrimp

It was a negative low and a bit "skinny" on the way out......launching the MA17 was "fun".....as the trailer needed to be dropped off the end of the ramp, into the mud, in order to float her off....

dondinochoko-3.thumb.jpg.875af25303a3da2330bf39ec25e1eb39.jpg

Headed out through the oysters.....and hit some of our old haunts....but, without the Trolling Motor.....we were going old school :)

At each of our spots I came in very slowly and in the last 25 yards, gave it one bit of rpms and then shut it off.....floated to the spot, then hit the power poles.....we found ourselves sitting for a while to settle things down.   Maybe by not using the TM and finding ourselves staked out with the Powerpole it made a difference...

The rat reds were everywhere......it was non-stop action.....Don even got into the game with his fly rod and found this little guy on a shoreline.

dondinochoko-2.thumb.jpg.a5b82d4e4bf551ad1b46b00e763e55d5.jpg

dondinochoko-4.thumb.jpg.e6112b6e4746c5eb14516eb5ae49d908.jpg

I found one nice snook on the shoreline, a few trout, a nice black drum for dinner.....and we called it a day early at 2pm.

dondinochoko-1.thumb.jpg.bb46dc3cbec1622f7ff3e77fd113c9f1.jpg

Tried fishing Flamingo yesterday, not a good day, bait shop had sold out 6000 shrimp before 7:30AM.  Water looked like chocolate milk and the bite was slow on the outside. Caught over 100 fish 2 weeks ago on a similar tide and yesterday boated maybe 10 fish.  I'll need to try choko one of these days when the wind is up.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:25 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

Went to the Cafe , for several Cuban coffees first.

REAL MEN RAN THE "S" CURVE :)

I was trying to keep you in business with another broken skegg :) but, my FMT chip brought me through....NOT really, I've run that "S" curve at least 200 times in the last 10 years....

I've run tracks on several friends boats over the years...but, even yesterday, with the FMT, I was bit "puckered"....

Ralph.....we need to do a trip on my skiff...you can appreciate all the work you've done on her.... (LOL).

dc

On 2/17/2019 at 8:22 AM, Coto said:

Glad to see you were rewarded after that daring launch. Good times.

Yep.....nothing like seeing the axel of your trailer falling off the ramp to make you go......aaaaaaaah....was this a good idea....or should I have had a few coffees with Ralph ???

Naaaaaah........drop it and go !!!  Broken Skeg? No problem I got Ralph....major gelcoat damage....no problem I got Bob @ Inshore marine.....broken Axel - no big deal, call BOAT US and take it to AMES trailer in Davie....go fish and take the risk, I say    :)

dc

On 2/17/2019 at 4:00 PM, conocean said:

Good stuff Dino & Don! Glad ya’ll got in on the fun  

I’ve been at my place in Choko since Wednesday. Freshly iced Tripletail or Reds for supper each nite. Low morning tides & great fishing each day. Life is good! 🌞

As I've said, I want to be Paul in my next life (LOL) :)

dc

Archived