Anyone with a Suzuki on a Pathfinder?

HewesYourDaddy

I do not know about running on a pathfinder. I do have a friend that bought a new zuke 140 last year for a key West 176. It does not preform very well on his boat. We have lifted the motor and ran a couple of different props. Low 40’s is about it and it just doesn’t feel good anywhere from getting on plane to wot. 

I am sure I will get beat up over this post as I know there is a lot of zuke love out there. I just was not impressed 

They do have to be propped differently because of the gear ratio vs Yamaha. There is a 150 on 22 PF in St Simons, I’ve seen it for at least 6 years and he is always fishing.... Also starting to see me more Suzuki’s on crabber boats, which means they have good warranty and they are dependable......I’ve asked a few of them about cost....and that’s not a concern....it’s dependability.

Now for speed vs rpm vs Yamaha.....I don’t have a clue.

My brother in law is a master mechanic for Bombardier/ E-Tec and was around when Suzuki made the Johnson 4 strokes for about 2 years. He said they were quality engines, it was the parts that they killed you on, and he is a pickey SOB! Oh yeah, the lower units are notorious for being stolen, lower unit bolts undone and they drop right out, maybe they changed the design??? 

Whole lot of Suzi's on boats back home in Alaska now- the full size range. Folks absolutely love them, but that's on the strength of them also being sold by the shop with the best maintenance in town. Yami's have fallen a little out of favor to the Suzi's, mostly because they lost their ace wrench twirler. To the Suzi shop. Honda's and Merc's are so scarce you feel like taking a picture when you see one. Because of rotten shops.  See the common denominator?

This is nothing other than throwing in an educated guess, just for fun... you should really ask the Suzuki dealer or a prop expert like Funky Monkey for advice.  But if you definitely want a 4-blade, and it's possible to find a seller with a good return or trade-up/down policy, you could try the Solas Rubex HR4 13 x 19P model # 9453-130-19 with a Mercury Flo-Torq II hub kit model # 835283Q2.  That hub kit would also fit with a Mercury Spitfire X7 12.7 x 19P prop as well (a more expensive option, but a great prop).  If the 19 pitch doesn't spin up to the maximum RPM range, you could drop down to 17 pitch.  But I think the 19 pitch paired with the Suzuki 2.59:1 gear ratio is about right.  Call me a fool for posting prop advice on this forum, but please post the results if you happen to try it and it works.  🤓

13 minutes ago, geeviam said:

This is nothing other than throwing in an educated guess, just for fun... you should really ask the Suzuki dealer or a prop expert like Funky Monkey for advice.  But if you definitely want a 4-blade, and it's possible to find one with a good return or trade-up/down policy, you could try the Solas Rubex HR4 13 x 19P model # 9453-130-19 with a Mercury Flo-Torq II hub kit model # 835283Q2.  That hub kit would also fit with a Mercury Spitfire X7 12.7 x 19P prop as well (a more expensive option, but a great prop).  If the 19 pitch doesn't spin up to the maximum RPM range, you could drop down to 17 pitch.  But I think the 19 pitch paired with the Suzuki 2.59:1 gear ratio is about right.  Call me a fool for posting prop advice on this forum, but please post the results if you happen to try it and it works.  🤓

Will do! Thanks for the info. Will research those units.  

6 hours ago, geeviam said:

But I think the 19 pitch paired with the Suzuki 2.59:1 gear ratio is about right.

Actually, your PF 1900T is lighter than I thought, so a 21 pitch is not out of the question.  Again, best advice is to talk to someone who has already setup many Zukes.  Good luck!

19 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

It’s a 2014 with 200hrs

Ya, no problems there. Loved mine, it was a 04. Like said, call Marcus, he propped my boat too. I know the older zukes had low gear ratios compared to other manufacturers, pretty sure Zuke got more inline with the rest of the industry at some point.

11 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Marcus is with Powertech?

Yes....he’s the owner.  He has an incredible history of props for Pathfinder / Maverick / Hewes boat’s and many more....he has helped me get the right prop for several of my Pathfinders and a Maverick and has been spot on every time. With my F250 installation on my 2400PF , we went through three props and then a re-cupping before finally getting the stern lift and rpm / mph ratio correct....but...Marcus and PowerTech stuck with it until we got it right. On my current PF 2200 with a F150.... I experimented with a few props before settling on the one I run now. Marcus is a straight shooter also...no BS and promises of some amazing expectations. 

there is a lot of talk about props and speed on this forum...I’m not saying PowerTech will be the fastest prop....because I actually lost 3 mph going to a 4 blade..but..the boat handles so much better and is very comfortable at cruising speed that I’m a believer. 

13 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Yes....he’s the owner.  He has an incredible history of props for Pathfinder / Maverick / Hewes boat’s and many more....he has helped me get the right prop for several of my Pathfinders and a Maverick and has been spot on every time. With my F250 installation on my 2400PF , we went through three props and then a re-cupping before finally getting the stern lift and rpm / mph ratio correct....but...Marcus and PowerTech stuck with it until we got it right. On my current PF 2200 with a F150.... I experimented with a few props before settling on the one I run now. Marcus is a straight shooter also...no BS and promises of some amazing expectations. 

there is a lot of talk about props and speed on this forum...I’m not saying PowerTech will be the fastest prop....because I actually lost 3 mph going to a 4 blade..but..the boat handles so much better and is very comfortable at cruising speed that I’m a believer. 

The owner boy Marcus would be happy to hear that . 😀

On 2/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, fishmanjj said:

I didn’t know he was the owner. He helped me with a prop for my pathfinder. There were a lot of variables, and I was having many issues, but he nailed it on the first try. I didn’t know my boat could perform like it does now. I couldn’t be happier, dude knows his props and pathfinders.

5 hours ago, General disarray said:

Buddy has a 175 on a 22v - He gets 54 with a 4 blade on it. I know you're looking at a 140 but that should give you some measure

Much larger displacement engine, but I'm hoping with the gear ratio in the 140, I can get good low end performance. I would be happy with similar performance to the 130 I just removed. I think it's all going to come down to propping.

5 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Much larger displacement engine, but I'm hoping with the gear ratio in the 140, I can get good low end performance. I would be happy with similar performance to the 130 I just removed. I think it's all going to come down to propping.

How did you do with the 130? I had a 1900v for years that had a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke on it. It ran well with a PowerTech RXB4/17. I ran 46 with the prop fresh from the shop and 44 regularly. 

Archived