21- Spitefire no longer for sale

dabear

Brand new , mint condition Merc Spitefire X-7 - 21 pitch , lab finished by Mercury Racing F&J Racing ft. Lauderdale ,comes with a brand new hub kit for Merc and a slightly used Yamaha hub kit . Guaranteed to be 100% mint and lab finished by F&J . $300.00 or trade for K-21 Yamaha pro series   13.5 X 21 in good condition . Joe R .       Drop price new price $ 250.00    ,  change #3 prop is on the boat and no longer for sale .

IMG_0359.jpeg

Prop is no longer for sale installed it on the boat and it has just become my negative tide low water prop , runs flat  and great good hole shot , ( didn’t want to use it if I was selling ) put my go to Yamaha Pro series under the bench until we get some better tides . 

18 hours ago, dabear said:

Prop is no longer for sale installed it on the boat and it has just become my negative tide low water prop

Wow Joe, that's a mighty nice prop for scuff, lol.  The best price I've found for a stock new one, is $440 including shipping!  If you run creeks with some tight turns, you'll love the grip.

Gary

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Wow Joe, that's a mighty nice prop for scuff, lol.  The best price I've found for a stock new one, is $440 including shipping!  If you run creeks with some tight turns, you'll love the grip.

Gary

I really hate that my pro series got a small scratch on it the last negative tide trip , if I had to make a choice between my three props which one I would rather use as a sacrificial negative tide prop being this one doesn’t seem to be worth a third what I have invested this will be the easiest one to use I don’t want to bump the bottom or the prop but if I do it won’t hurt as bad . It’s like telling your kids you love them all the same everyone has a favorite kid we don’t tell the others who it is but we have a favorite . Kids like props all have things they do better or not as well as the others this doesn’t lift and ride as well as the others so if one goes over the mountain side into a ☄️ ball of fire it’s the Spitefire . Let the ceremony begin long live the Pro series . 

I had F&J work a prop for me. She was beautiful when I got her back. On like the third outing I bumped a small log or something while moving at a little more than idle speed. The edges were so thin that the metal rolled up about a half inch on one ear.  The bump was very minor and I’m sure if the prop had not been worked it would have not made a mark on the prop. If you bump the bottom it will not take much of an impact to roll those edges 

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

I had F&J work a prop for me. She was beautiful when I got her back. On like the third outing I bumped a small log or something while moving at a little more than idle speed. The edges were so thin that the metal rolled up about a half inch on one ear.  The bump was very minor and I’m sure if the prop had not been worked it would have not made a mark on the prop. If you bump the bottom it will not take much of an impact to roll those edges 

Not all stainless is created equal.  The word on the street with prop shops, is that the stainless props made in Malaysia are softer, and the blades should not be thinned at all.  Mercury's proprietary stainless is strong by itself, but Mercury X7 stainless is another 30% stronger.  Made in the USA is a great thing again!!

17 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I think my prop was decent stainless .. it was a tempest plus. 

Yup, sounds like your Tempest prop blades were thinned quite a bit - bummer.  Since Dabear decided to keep the Spitfire as a sacrificial prop, for running his boat during periods of ultra-low negative tides, maybe the thinner blades will help save something else from breaking if he hits bottom.  My point was to mention that the Merc X7 alloy in Dabear's Spitfire is much stronger than other grades of stainless.

Honey B thanks for the warning ⚠️ .  But this is my sacrificial shallow water negative tide sacrificial prop sacrificial props usually do not live long happy life’s .  Again thanks for the warning . Geeviam that X-7 does say on a Mercury advertising that it is 30% stronger than there non X-7 stainless alloys being its not 30% thinner maybe this sacrificial prop will survive the next few negative tides time will tell .  Either way my pro series will be safe in the garage during these negative low tides . 

Appreciate the warning and can imagine the terrible feeling in your stomach when you felt the bump and first seen your prop destroyed . It is never good for the environment or the prop and prop owner to come in contact with each other fortunate for the environment that it usually wins. I hope that none of us ever touch bottoms grasses logs oyster bars or anything else. We all need to be as careful as possible that way we can continue to fish in these shallow very productive areas . If we all take care of our shallow water areas they will have a better chance of being here for our grandchildren to enjoy plus no need to give anyone a reason to make a area off limits . 

5 hours ago, HoneyB said:

On like the third outing I bumped a small log or something

That's on my mind every outing up here on the lakes too.  When a storm comes through with rains and wind, downed trees and logs accumulate at the dam.  They either get dumped down a spillway or they are being sucked toward the dam when the flow is reversed.  The closer we are to the dam, the more floating logs we see, and I get nervous.  Damaging a $600 prop will ruin your day for sure.  If I had a bigger motor, I'd be running a Tempest Plus.  I wish Mercury would start making it in a "90 to 130 hp" size.  🙂

Archived