Plumbing???

Happy Lappy

I have a 92 Redfisher that I picked up last fall and would like to replace the entire plumbing system in it.  Besides the original hardware being 27 years old, the original owner replaced all the hoses with garden hoses.  I just don't trust it.  Is this something I could do myself?  I'll add more pictures over the next couple of days.

20180722_121514.jpg

20180722_121442.jpg

Replacing the hoses and clamps is not a hard task at all.  Be sure to use quality marine hoses, made for the particular use, along with quality SS clamps, doubled clamped.  I see a single clamp on the live well thru hull drain.  A big no no.........

JEM is right on all counts. From the pic, looks like the hose from the bilge pump is marine grade, but could be wrong. The corrugated hose for the live-well drain is not acceptable. That should also be marine grade semi-rigid hose. When you make your hose connections, use some white (Life Caulk) caulking on the hose barbs.  Helps the hoses slide on easier and you don't have to put so much pressure on the hose clamp to make a water tight connection. 

If your new hoses are to stiff to make turns, use a heat gun or hair dryer to shape the hoses.

Send more pics.  

the first order of business before you embark and working in the bilge is to go to thmarine.com and get the biggest rectangle hatch cover that will fit in your splash well to replace that small round pie hole access hatch and get the one with the removable lid so you get both arms down there and work.  trust me on this one!!

4 hours ago, redzone1 said:

the first order of business before you embark and working in the bilge is to go to thmarine.com and get the biggest rectangle hatch cover that will fit in your splash well to replace that small round pie hole access hatch and get the one with the removable lid so you get both arms down there and work.  trust me on this one!!

Xactly right!

Age can be a factor and that would be a reason for replacement. Looks to me, the hoses in the pic are factory equipment marine grade. Double clamps could be used, as that is the standard of today. Like said above, if you plan on doing major bilge work. First step is to upsize the bilge access panel. This is one I've used on a few boats.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/jim-black-582-1115-05-11-x-15-polar-white-boat-service-door-hatch

Yep, replacing the metal pipes (intake and drain) makes perfect since. Make sure you get a shut-off for both. Also, this is the time to move or reconfigure stuff to clean up the bilge and make future access better. Keep the intake plumbing for the bait pump as low as possible and keep the bait pump in a horizontal position. This keeps all the plumbing associated with the bait pump below the water line and prevents problems with water pick-up. 

Archived