Dumb things not to do . . .

whichwaysup

So, I post this with full knowledge that many of you will laugh at me for NOT realizing this, but maybe good for other googans with the same brilliant idea.  

Way back when I was chasing down that little leak that turned out to be a stringer issue, I had the bright idea to fill the hull up with water, not all the way, of course, but enough to flood the likely culprits.   It is asier to find water flowing out than flowing in, right?   

I have learned a lot about boats in the past year and a half (more than I wanted to) and learned why this wasnt such a good idea.   The reason it was a bad idea wasn't intuitive to me, so I am passing it along.   

The problem with stringers is that, wood or no wood, when they get wet, they can get water inside of them.  Foam core stringers are basically big sponges, and if there is a place for water to get in, which there will be with enough water in the bilge, you will get water inside that stringer with no way to get out.  Raw (unsealed) fiberglass gets brittle when it stays wet.   So filling the boat up with water basically introduces water into places it then cant get out of.  

I am sure there are a million other reasons this is a bad idea, but that particular reason was new to me.   The bright side of this epic saga I have been going through is that my boat has had  a year and a half opened up to dry out and the stringers have now been aired out, resealed, reglassed and reinforced.  

Again, I am probably the only idiot who would do this, but hopefully this embarrassibg post will keep another Einstien from repeating my mistake.

I was under the impression that the foam core and injected foam in the stringers, below the water line in our boats, is closed-cell foam that does not absorb water.  Is that not true?  I know it is not good for raw fiberglass to stay wet - especially polyester resin, because it absorbs water and weakens or de-laminates.

This has the making to become a new thread along the lines of the "What did you do to your boat today?" thread! I say we start right here...... This might be an epic post. Let's try to keep it boat related. May be a lot to learn and avoid from other's mistakes.  I'll go....

Dumb thing not to do..... NEVER look at that sandbar and think to yourself "Is that really a sandbar?"  The last hurricane to roll through created a sandbar in a place that was always shallow, but not shallow enough that we couldn't run the river there at dead low tide. By the time I processed my thoughts, we hit the sandbar and came to a full stop from 28mph in a matter of an instant. Well, because of that very instant lack of reaction, I will be having a torn meniscus repaired in less than 3 weeks. Watch where you are going, even if you THINK you know the waters you boat in. 

1 hour ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

This has the making to become a new thread along the lines of the "What did you do to your boat today?" thread! I say we start right here...... This might be an epic post. Let's try to keep it boat related. May be a lot to learn and avoid from other's mistakes.  I'll go....

Dumb thing not to do..... NEVER look at that sandbar and think to yourself "Is that really a sandbar?"  The last hurricane to roll through created a sandbar in a place that was always shallow, but not shallow enough that we couldn't run the river there at dead low tide. By the time I processed my thoughts, we hit the sandbar and came to a full stop from 28mph in a matter of an instant. Well, because of that very instant lack of reaction, I will be having a torn meniscus repaired in less than 3 weeks. Watch where you are going, even if you THINK you know the waters you boat in. 

YYYEEEEOOOUUUCCCH!!!  

Reminds me of Nagjuice telling me once that birds don't stand up in deep water.   As stupid as it sounds, I've caught myself doing exactly what you did - staring at birds that are clearly standing up directly in front of me and approaching them at 50 MPH wondering how they could be doing that . . . Thankfully, my brain kicked into gear before it was too late, but it is funny how you can deny the reality you are staring at because it doesn't fit with what you expect!

And thanks to all the responders for the moral support.   Good to know that I wasn't the only one not to realize this.

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

I was under the impression that the foam core and injected foam in the stringers, below the water line in our boats, is closed-cell foam that does not absorb water.  Is that not true?  I know it is not good for raw fiberglass to stay wet - especially polyester resin, because it absorbs water and weakens or de-laminates.

Oh, it absorbs water - or at least it holds it.   When the first shop pulled my rear deck off, the sprayed in foam in the rear was so water logged and heavy it was apparently a bear to deal with.   I am curious to see how the boat performs when I get her back without that weight back there.    The current shop told me that this is a common issue in just about every boat they see.

29 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Ouch.  Just out of curiosity, how bad was the result??

It seems to have a pressure relief valve to overcome this. It seems to go up and down fine, although I have not tried to sick it in the mud again.  Its a little un-nerving seeing it bouncing on the water when looking back.

Archived