Boat lift straps

D-linesider

My buddy just got a new house on the coast that has straps to hang the boat in the boat house rather than a cradle to lift it. I am thinking about leaving my Pathfinder there for weeks at a time. I am uncertain if hanging my boat via lifting straps under it will hurt it. Anyone have any insight or experience that might shed some light on the situation? The thought of those straps squeezing against the sides has me nervous. 

I have had 2 pathfinders on straps for their entire lives with no problem (5+years each) as long as you get them supported correctly. I have front strap right at the fuel fill and the rear just forward of the bilge drain.

Make sure the lift and straps are heavy enough to use. My life is 10000# and the straps 7500# each and 6 inches wide.

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

I have had 2 pathfinders on straps for their entire lives with no problem (5+years each) as long as you get them supported correctly. I have front strap right at the fuel fill and the rear just forward of the bilge drain.

Make sure the lift and straps are heavy enough to use. My life is 10000# and the straps 7500# each and 6 inches wide.

Hope that helps

Thank you this is what I needed to hear. His straps are big 6” wide straps I guess I just need to confirm that the set up is rated for at least 10,000#. Did the straps hurt the rub rails at all? I have seen boats where the straps have permanently squeezed the rub rails in. 

In my experience, the issue with straps is pinching the boat. If the straps are set too narrow for the width of your boat, then it will squeeze the boat and contribute to gelcoat cracks. Especially with extreme weather changes (hot to cold or visa versa). It is usually pretty easy to move the top pullies out, so that the straps just barely make contact with the rub rail. 

Archived