Jack Plate questions

doktrred

I'm about to purchase a 1999 PF 2200V that is in great physical shape, never seen saltwater, yet.  I am going to use it in salt and freshwater.  It doesn't have a jack plate on it and want to put one on it.  Not sure what setback I would need for this PF, 4",6" etc.  It's got a 150  Yamaha Vmax TPR on it.

Looking at T-H Marine/Atlas and Bob's so far.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

I would think if it is running with no jack plate that you can put what you want on there and be fine. I am no jack plate expert but my understanding it the further you go back the higher you can run the motor on plane. If you think about how the water comes up from the back of the boat while on plane it makes sense. I would think the four inch would allow you to run it up high and idle around on the shallows . Six inch might let you run it a bit higher on plane crossing the shallows. I think six might be the go to setback for most . 

If you intend to run your motor high in the water you will be on the search for a prop. Some props are designed to hold on when run higher. More money :)

Master Repair down in Stuart installed a 6'" Atlas  on my 2007 2200V.    The only time I use it is at the highest level is when I am trying to idle into a shallow creek mouth or over a bar.  I cannot run at speed raised to the top because the engine will overheat.  Even my SHO with a low water pickup cannot be run at speed with the jack plate raised to the top.  But even just using it while idling over shallow water makes it very valuable to me!

On 2/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, JEM said:

Master Repair down in Stuart installed a 6'" Atlas  on my 2007 2200V.    The only time I use it is at the highest level is when I am trying to idle into a shallow creek mouth or over a bar.  I cannot run at speed raised to the top because the engine will overheat.  Even my SHO with a low water pickup cannot be run at speed with the jack plate raised to the top.  But even just using it while idling over shallow water makes it very valuable to me!

JEM rarely idles....maybe going into a shallow creek....otherwise, put your goggles on and turn your hat backwards or take it off. Make sure you get a good grip on the back of leaning post if sitting or windshield frame if standing. Also, forget about having a drink while JEM is running. Also, if it’s early morning be sure to wear a buff on your face, those gnats and horse flies hurt like a SOB at 60 mph. 

Other than that... you’ll have a great time fishing. 😎🎣

I have owned 4 boats with jack plates, they were all Bob Machine out of Ruskin FL.  Other than changing out a solenoid or tow I have never had any problems with any of the plates. They make 2 types of plates for your boat, an internal pump or external pump. If possible go with a jack plate that has its pump and pieces inside the boat.  Im old school, the less hardware you have hanging in the salt water the better.  I think Atlas only offer it in external?   Once you learn how to use your jack plate you will love it!!

1 hour ago, Buzzarde said:

I have owned 4 boats with jack plates, they were all Bob Machine out of Ruskin FL.  Other than changing out a solenoid or tow I have never had any problems with any of the plates. They make 2 types of plates for your boat, an internal pump or external pump. If possible go with a jack plate that has its pump and pieces inside the boat.  Im old school, the less hardware you have hanging in the salt water the better.  I think Atlas only offer it in external?   Once you learn how to use your jack plate you will love it!!

100% agree with all the above.....to install and service the unit with an external pump is easy peasy....I had mine for 7 years, same as above....changed out a few solenoids and always carried one of the boat....change them out in less than 10 min....

dc

Archived