Replacing Garmin thoughts?

DaveC

On February 6, 2019 at 3:35 PM, justfish said:

Very timely for me so will watch what others say. 

About to do the same and want the Florida marine track ability too. Leaning  toward the Simrad GO 9

My thoughts as well, if I could fit a 12" I would!

Once I put FMT onto our Simrad, buds got to watch it in use.  So far 4 Garmins have been replaced, one of them less than a year old.  Just yesterday the latest selling his Garmin watched me work my way into an area using the outstanding aerial photo background (no FMT tracks in there).  We went in, worked all over the place without touching bottom, then came out clean. He said in 10 years of going there he was still hitting bottom on every trip. Garmin for sale.

11 hours ago, triplec said:

Bear, You are running Simrad's 7" I believe right? I am in the create template to see what fits best stage" as I can't flush mount so hunting all ideas. 

Yeah. 7" cuzz that's all that will fit my console. Love to have bigger, but content to be doing my zooming.  Hit another area today I'd never been in without a hitch. Same bud with me, and he said he'd never dared try it.

Guys.. if you are in the market for FMT and running a skiff or any inshore rig in tight places and run over 20 mph, please try to avoid getting any GO Simrad Unit.  The GO units are touch only and have only a single core processor.  They will run the charts ok but compared to all other FMT compatible units they are a real hassle to operate when running around.  The other machines are much better choices for FMT.  We see no advantage to any GO unit.  They are less expensive for good reason.   If you want a Simrad, get an NSS machine.  The EVO3 is the best choice but it is also the most expensive.   The NSS 9" has a current $400 rebate and the 12" has a $500 rebate.  We think all 7" units are too small for FMT.  12" and larger is best.  If you get a 9 or 12" EVO from FMT, you can get 20% off your chart cost.  The 12" units will fit on any boat (we have them on lots of small rigs including Gheenos and side consoles), but you likely need an adjustable mount.  Depending on your console the Ciscofishingsystems  mounts or Balzout mounts are great choices and will get the job done perfectly.

If budget is more of a concern the best deal right now is the Lowrance Carbon which was replaced in November with the LIVE.  There are no price restrictions on the Carbon right now and you can find them at near cost at some retailers.  Another alternative is the Lowrance Elite Ti2.   Each can be purchased as a 9 or 12".   We think any of these are better for FMT than a Simrad GO.

I guess I’m assuming your saying that the 7” is too small cause most would split it. But what about FMT chart on a 7” if it wasn’t gonna be split? 

I have the room for two and would prefer it over a single split screen if it would work.  Looks like you could get (2) 7” Ti2 with one transducer for about half of a 12”  

20 minutes ago, justfish said:

I guess I’m assuming your saying that the 7” is too small cause most would split it. But what about FMT chart on a 7” if it wasn’t gonna be split? 

I have the room for two and would prefer it over a single split screen if it would work.  Looks like you could get (2) 7” Ti2 with one transducer for about half of a 12”  

I started out with a 7” and in my opinion it worked fine. Bigger is absolutely better, but I ran all over the place up and down the coast in my 22’ Pathfinder no problem at all with a 7” Lowrance HDS. 

7" screens have 267% inferior screen res compared to all 12" units.  With a garmin chart its no issue as the charts look about the same on all units.  With FMT, it makes a big difference.  We never recommend any 7" screens for FMT.  Will it work?  Yes, but it's too small too clearly see all the detail and if lots of layers are turned on its way too cluttered because of all of the details provided.  It is very challenging for any Garmin or navionics user to appreciate the difference until you run with it and work it yourself.  Small screens work fine with general reference charts and low res imagery because there isn't much to see and much of what you can see is not correct.  If you want to see it all and get a lot out of your gps, get a good size screen and avoid any 7".  Keep in mind a 9" screen is only 8.25" across and 4.25" vertical (the actual lighted screen size - not very large).

The notion that a small boat only can accommodate a small screen or should only mount a small screen is fallacy.  It is an engrained line of thought in the market though because historically large screens were only put on large rigs and because the garmin controlled maps were the only choice for most and they did not provide much in the way of improved functional utility on large screens vs. small.  Today it's a different reality.  We have 16" units on 18' boats and for some of those, the 12" units now seem too small.  Once you go big, you don't go back to small.  A 16" unit has twice the screen res of a 12".  I now run a 16" on an 18" boat and it does fit on my console.  I am sure it will happen one day but so far not a single person has called to say "hey I got this 12" screen and its just too big -- I need a smaller screen".  But lots of people who went with a 7 and/or 9 advised it would have been better to get a bigger screen.

11 hours ago, FMT Charting Group said:

The GO units are touch only....

And in my experience, that's a royal PITA. Never "GO-ing" there again, no matter the screen size. Any little touch as I'm turning the wheel, any little bounce while I'm trying to touch the screen, and at the very least you enable the cursor, sometimes changing screens entirely. @#%^##%^  No more touch screen for this kid. Period.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, FMT Charting Group said:

Guys.. if you are in the market for FMT and running a skiff or any inshore rig in tight places and run over 20 mph, please try to avoid getting any GO Simrad Unit.  The GO units are touch only and have only a single core processor.  They will run the charts ok but compared to all other FMT compatible units they are a real hassle to operate when running around.  The other machines are much better choices for FMT.  We see no advantage to any GO unit.  They are less expensive for good reason.   If you want a Simrad, get an NSS machine.  The EVO3 is the best choice but it is also the most expensive.   The NSS 9" has a current $400 rebate and the 12" has a $500 rebate.  We think all 7" units are too small for FMT.  12" and larger is best.  If you get a 9 or 12" EVO from FMT, you can get 20% off your chart cost.  The 12" units will fit on any boat (we have them on lots of small rigs including Gheenos and side consoles), but you likely need an adjustable mount.  Depending on your console the Ciscofishingsystems  mounts or Balzout mounts are great choices and will get the job done perfectly.

If budget is more of a concern the best deal right now is the Lowrance Carbon which was replaced in November with the LIVE.  There are no price restrictions on the Carbon right now and you can find them at near cost at some retailers.  Another alternative is the Lowrance Elite Ti2.   Each can be purchased as a 9 or 12".   We think any of these are better for FMT than a Simrad GO.

What's the standard chart that comes with the NSS Evo3?  I'm interested in either the 9" or 12" with a FMT chart, but curious about what the standard chart is.  Simrad site says it's a C-Map US Enhanced Basemap.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, FMT Charting Group said:

Man !

glad I caught this .

was going to pull the trigger on a Go 9 , but noway now .

How about Raymarine ?

Do any of their 9” units stack up for the FMT chip ?

THANKS for this post

🇺🇸☠️

Archived