Older Hewes TM Battery Location

gnarlydog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't do mine on a 20ft LT,but the boat guys I use didn't seem to have a problem from the console when I had them install my troller.  There is room under the floor on the deck ahead of the console.  Maybe a 10ft piece of fairly stiff  galvanized wire will work forward and be used to pull through the power cables. I used that stuff on my vineyard trellises.  Hardware stores should carry it.

• 1 month later...

My recently acquired 2008 RF16 had two trolling motor batteries crammed into the front storage compartment - which ate up my primary storage space and I wasn't a big fan of it.  I wanted them in the center console but it was going to be tight.  I literally got them in with about 1/16" to spare before I would have needed to start cutting fiberglass.  I also built a mount for my charger to nestle in right next to the batteries.

I found a great Attwood battery mount and that's really the only way installing the batteries like this was possible.  here's a link to the battery mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8DC01G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put locktight on the starboard side rod/handles that hold the top clamp in place so it will remove the rod when I loosen the handle - that allows me to center up the battery under the hatch so I can remove the battery (which would be impossible otherwise with the rod in place as the mount intended.

The batteries work great there - I just fished the new wiring up to the bow with a four foot fiberglass batten.  I couldn't find any kind of a chase to run the wiring in.

I finished it off with a charge port in the side of the center console to plug in an extension cord to power the charger.

Original location of batteries (yuck!):
46508459555_dc2aeb322b.jpg

Original space under the center console seat (practically unusable).  Apparently a single 12V battery used to live in here but someone upgraded to a 24V trolling motor setup at didn't attempt to fit both batteries here like this madman.

46508459435_e6c3f3c9fc.jpg

New battery mounts:
48258420577_45dcbf3d89.jpg

TM Circuit breaker:
48258350611_110be39366.jpg

designing battery charger mount in 3D (solidworks) - I have a CNC router in my garage and this is constructed from 3/4" PVC sheet and some delrin plastic rods I had laying around the shop.

48258421227_88e95092ff.jpg

48258350696_261731c8f0.jpg

all done!:

48258350896_b4bae9b865.jpg

48258389326_6056bf53bd.jpg