Minn Kota or Motorguide

D-linesider

I apologize if this has been beaten to death but I need some advice. I am looking to put a new remote trolling motor on my 2007 2200xl (currently have hand controlled). Spot lock is priority one. I will not be linking it to my GPS, just using the remote to steer. I am looking for input and advice on brand / model / shaft length. Should I stay 36v or will 24v work? Again I am sorry if this has been covered before. I tried to search the answers but was not finding the info I need. Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

I have a 22’ pathfinder t with a 48v ( 80 lb I think) minn Kota I pilot. It was the first one that came out. No problems, very happy. I use it (spot lock) offshore and nearshore a lot. Total game changer. Inshore it’s also really nice, but I don’t use the spot lock if I can get the pp down. 

I was pretty hardcore against ever having such a capable device until my new boat came with one. I can't tell you how freaking amazing it is having one! Mine is a MotorGuide Xi5 in 36 volt, and I LOVE it! I fish NE FL and we have some pretty strong tides compared to where you are (SW, right?) and in fishing it all day in pretty hard tides, right by an inlet, I've never noticed it losing ground or struggling to hold. It is a little finicky trying to spot lock close to or under a bridge or heavy structure, but so far that is the only issue I've had. We just fished this past Sat. and I was on the aft deck re-tying, and was controlling the boat for my buddy on the bow. I mentioned that he needed to learn how to run it, to which he replied "why, you're doing a great job back there!". The stored routes feature is nice as well, but I don't fish a lot of spots that I would use it, but leading up to a spot or area, I use it kind of like an auto pilot so I can tie on lures and assemble my fly rod, etc. In short, I can't imagine not having one now. Also, the anchor feature is great, but not something I would use in place of the Power Pole. If you're near, on or see fish and hit anchor, it goes through some pretty drastic measures to hold you in THAT spot. I'm talking full power, pivot back to THAT spot. Bye bye fishies!

I don't know what you need down there (you're on a 22 TE, right?) but I know if it were me, I'd go for the 36v on that boat. I know they can get heavy with all those wells full.

You will need at least a 60". I have a 54" and will come out of the water in rough seas. I think the 72" would be over kill. I was going to go with the Xi5 but found a good deal on a Ulterra. This is the bees knees!!! Not having to touch anything but a button on the remote is a game changer. If you fish shallow and/or around rocks/oyster bars the Ulrerra is what you need. The ability to raise and lower the motor to avoid hitting at a moments notice is great. 

I have a 24v 80lb ipilot I wanna say it’s a 54” shaft but I can’t remember. It holds the 22 te all day in strong current and with some wind but I have had it come out of the water on a rough day. (Probably shouldn’t have been fishing anyways) It’s been good to me but everyone I know is switching to rhodan and loves them. I would definitely look into them if I were you. 

49 minutes ago, Bloch776 said:

I have a 24v 80lb ipilot I wanna say it’s a 54” shaft but I can’t remember. It holds the 22 te all day in strong current and with some wind but I have had it come out of the water on a rough day. (Probably shouldn’t have been fishing anyways) It’s been good to me but everyone I know is switching to rhodan and loves them. I would definitely look into them if I were you. 

I just went to their website to check them out. What is drawing your buddies to them? I did I not see anything about them that the Minnkota does not offer, and they are just as much even a little more than the Minnkota. Just wondering if I am missing something. 

My MotorGuide is 60" and no issues yet. You're right on it riding lower since you don't have to manage the steering handle anymore. A lot of the guys here who fish outside of the ICW are going to Rhodan, and I think that's because they will hold a pretty big boat in place with little to no issue. That and I hear their customer service is second to none....Like if there is an issue, they send a tech to your house to fix it.

What brad said, customer service is really second to none. The Rhodans hold the bigger boats longer, have a nice handle on top for easy removal, and they have a mount that attaches near the head to keep them from bouncing. I believe the remotes are much smaller which would be nice instead of hold the minn Kota tv remote around your neck. I’ve personally love my minn Kota and wouldn’t change it but just food for thought for you

The Minn Kota's do have a huge remote, that also can operate all your household systems......tv, stereo, A/C, etc........no doubt about it. That is exactly why I bought the micro remote and have that attached to my belt loop, and leave the big remote on top of the console. The only time I use the big remote is to deploy, stow, and trim the troller.  And I am usually at the console to do that stuff anyway.    The fewer, essential buttons on the micro remote, which is already down at hand level,  allow me to operate the motor without looking down.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:03 PM, D-linesider said:

I apologize if this has been beaten to death but I need some advice. I am looking to put a new remote trolling motor on my 2007 2200xl (currently have hand controlled). Spot lock is priority one. I will not be linking it to my GPS, just using the remote to steer. I am looking for input and advice on brand / model / shaft length. Should I stay 36v or will 24v work? Again I am sorry if this has been covered before. I tried to search the answers but was not finding the info I need. Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

I have a 2200 Pathfinder with a 112 MK , 36 volt and have had no issues after four years of use. I fish at least 4 times per month and the MK has been used every trip. I also have a power pole , however..since installing the trolling motor and using the spot lock, I find myself using the MK more and more. 

2006 PF 2200v.  I have the 105lb MG with 60" shaft.  I spot lock all day long on shallow reefs and even 14 miles out of summerland key deep dropping.  NO ISSUES.  I have my troller linked to my Lowrance and have created routes around island at mingo.  I get to a spot recall the save route and it runs it without me touching it.  You can do this without the lowrance it just seems easier for me to work than from the remote.  I have two friends with minn kota. One can't keep it out of service (he's a charter capt.) and the other cant hold a spot lock next to me.  Im glad I did the motorguide and have been incredibly happy with it.  Good batteries is a must. I have 3 brute force 34's to run it and I can use it on shallow reefs for 2 - 3 days without recharge. 

which ever you go with pm me and i will send you a handle for your shaft to be able to deploy it easier unless you go with the auto deploy.  then think charter capt listed above.  i bought a few and just sitting around in garage. 

Thanks for all the feedback! As anticipated this forum pulled through and has given me a wealth of first hand info to help make an educated decision. My current trolling motor is 36v so I think I am going to stick with the 36v set up. I have read and heard way to many negative stories and reviews on the auto deploy the Ulterra has. At the moment I am planning on pulling the trigger on a 60” 36v Minnkota  Terrova. I am intrigued with the Rhodan but am having a hard time seeing any benefits of it over the Minnkota. I like that most any repair shop will typically have experience and parts for the Minnkota where the Rhodan would be hit or miss. Thanks again to all who took the time to offer your advice and opinions.  This forum is a big reason I have owned 5 Pathinders.

• 3 weeks later...

Rhodan. Call and talk to them. Every aspect of their construction is more heavy duty and protected for the salt water marine environment than the big 2. If you can go to a boat show and see them and compare to the others, you will be convinced. Their customer service is hands down better than the big 2 (not that you will need it for a Rhodan).

Bought a new 2200 TRS last year as a replacement for my 04 2200.The xterrra was the best  decision  I  made with the purchase. Automatic deployment and stow is a significant feature for an older guy like me. The spot lock is improved from previous editions and most importantly the jog feature on spot lock allows you to make small adjustments to better position  the boat around structure  I am catching more fish than I would without these features. I fish two times a week or more in the Charleston SC area and don't use an anchor and seldom if ever use the power pole.    I have a 24 volt system and don't see the need for 36 volts. The 24v has plenty of power.

One potential downside to the xterra is maintenance. They are complex and I anticipate more maintenance issues but in my opinion the advantages are worth it. There is a two year warranty and we have an excellent  factory authorized repair facility in Charleston.

40 minutes ago, dwith9 said:

Bought a new 2200 TRS last year as a replacement for my 04 2200.The xterrra was the best  decision  I  made with the purchase. Automatic deployment and stow is a significant feature for an older guy like me. The spot lock is improved from previous editions and most importantly the jog feature on spot lock allows you to make small adjustments to better position  the boat around structure  I am catching more fish than I would without these features. I fish two times a week or more in the Charleston SC area and don't use an anchor and seldom if ever use the power pole.    I have a 24 volt system and don't see the need for 36 volts. The 24v has plenty of power.

One potential downside to the xterra is maintenance. They are complex and I anticipate more maintenance issues but in my opinion the advantages are worth it. There is a two year warranty and we have an excellent  factory authorized repair facility in Charleston.

Your experience mirrors mine.  I have a total of 3 years with both the gen 1 and gen 2 version of the MK Ulterra, 24V.  The additional maintenance that I do is every 2 or 3 trips, I spray both sides of the rubber belt with Armor All, and every so often, pull the side plates off (2 screws each side) and spray Armor All in there.  I have never had a failure in 3 years.  My 10' power pole has a custom cover on it, and it went the entire year of 2018 without it being pulled off.  I need to sell it!   What is an "anchor?"

The minKota units are really noisy when turning but apparently no so much underwater.   But the turning noise drives me crazy.   I have been on several boats with them and they are really loud.  I think the noisiest of all of the options.  The MG is pretty quiet by comparison and the Rhodan is super quiet when turning and I have found it to be totally reliable with no breakdowns.  I have had two rhodans and they work fine and very accurate and the remote is easy and very small fitting inside the palm of your hand.  I found the downside of the Rhodan is 1) the white plastic they use for the cover on the deck and on the head unit is not UV protected and will turn yellow after about a year in the elements and 2) the launching mechanism off the bow is all plastic and gets sticky and you have to spray it with silicon so it will slide off.   I think the manual launching mechanism on the MK and MG is higher quality and a better design.  You will have to repaint the plastic covers or buy a new ones from Rhodan for about 100 if you don't like the yellow after it starts to appear.   

I think I am going to switch to Motor Guide this year which integrates with my GPS.

Archived