RABUD ball scupper install

John G

• 3 months later...

John -

Great details - I just received my Rabuds and have a question:

I assume you mounted the spacer to the hull and then attached the rabud with the small screws into the holes you taped, is this correct?

Is there a reason you don't recommend attaching the scarcer and the rabid as one to the hull?

Thanks 

Todd

John -

I assume you mounted the spacer to the hull and then attached the rabud with the small screws into the holes you taped, is this correct?

Is there a reason you don't recommend attaching the scarcer and the rabid as one to the hull?

Thanks 

Todd

35 minutes ago, Lap it Up said:

Has anyone installed these on a late model 24? (2004).  My buddy has a 2004 24 and it has very large brass colored thru hulls on the outside.  I assume these would have to be removed to install rabuds. 

I would check....you could probably make a larger overlay vs taking off the brass.....a simple router and starboard or a jig saw would work...

The guyz at Dusky RABUD can probably cut you a custom size for a few $$$ more.

dc

Years ago I was one of the original  posters on installing the spacers separately.  The reason behind doing it separately is that you do not disturb the seal to the hull when you take the raybud off to clean it or change the rubber piece.  The purpose of the space is to fit over the trim ring on the drain. 

Numerous ideas and knowledge was lost years ago when the forum was changed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 3:08 PM, Paid Up said:

John -

Thanks 

Todd

Sorry, just seeing this now. You want the housing with ball to be removable. The rubber seating surface will erode over time. Tapping the housing screws into the spacer make this possible. Spacer stays on the hull, you just remove housing and replace it

• 2 months later...

I'm mounting a new set of Rabuds using the above instructions.

Question on this part: "cut threads into the spacers with a die to accept #10-24 SS machine screws"

What die do I use to create internal threading in the meat of the spacers? Don't have a lot of experience with dies. Thanks!

EDIT: Any reason I can't just pre-drill and use 3/4" flat head metal screws into the spacers?

4 hours ago, nicecast said:

Thanks. I was more asking about the other holes, that attach the plastic Rabud to the spacer. Do those have to be threaded with a tap to accept the 3/4" machine screw, or can I just use a 3/4" self tapping metal screw instead?

I didn’t tap. Drill it small and it was fine. Been on there a couple years now 

Tapping the hole is better for a few reasons.  It can be removed easily and does not put any stress on the fiberglass.  The reason that you counter sink is to remove the gel coat so the sheet metal screw will not crack it.  Non of that is necessary if you tap the hole.  I find it much easier to tap that use sheet metal screws and I believe it to be stronger also.  I no longer use sheet metal screws on my boat in either fiberglass or starboard.

If you are going to thread the spacer separately from the hull that should be done prior to mounting so you get the threads all the way through, unless you have a bottoming tap.

The perfect size drill for a 10-24 NC machine screw is a #25.  If you do not have number drills, a 9/64th will work fine in fiberglass.

Good luck!

On 7/28/2019 at 7:04 PM, Chief5130 said:

Tapping the hole is better for a few reasons.  It can be removed easily and does not put any stress on the fiberglass.  The reason that you counter sink is to remove the gel coat so the sheet metal screw will not crack it.  Non of that is necessary if you tap the hole.  I find it much easier to tap that use sheet metal screws and I believe it to be stronger also.  I no longer use sheet metal screws on my boat in either fiberglass or starboard.

If you are going to thread the spacer separately from the hull that should be done prior to mounting so you get the threads all the way through, unless you have a bottoming tap.

The perfect size drill for a 10-24 NC machine screw is a #25.  If you do not have number drills, a 9/64th will work fine in fiberglass.

Good luck!

Glad to see your back!

• 1 year later...