2 cranking batteries, excessive?

Foulhook

My new-to-me 17' HPX-V has a cranking battery in the bilge and another in the console, both wired through a switch. This seems excessive to me and just a waste of space in the already cramped console. I have run a 2200V Pathfinder since 2001 with only 1 cranking battery. In the few instances I had a battery failure, I jumped off of one of the trolling motor batteries.

Am I missing something before I remove the 1 battery and switch from the console? 

IMG_2029.thumb.jpeg.0197f06cb1ecbddc7c893795ea41ac79.jpeg

One is enough on a true technical poling skiff, and 2 on everything else especially with a bait pump(s) running all day.

If going with 1, charge it up the night before.

Those jumper packs are impressive.

(PS - those 17 hpx-v's are weight sensitive for sure, if going with one battery, Id keep the weight forward and remove the bilge battery.)

Thanks everyone. I have 2 batteries for the trolling motor up in the front by the gas tank.

As for the console, it also contains the oil tank. I'm now thinking I should move that to the bilge area where the bilge battery is now and keep the battery in the console. Removing the oil tank will give me a lot more room. I'm a little intimidated by anything oil related (screw it up and burn up the engine with my luck) but it seems pretty strain forward. Thoughts?

Is it yamaha? I think most yamaha oil tanks use a pump located in the tank to move oil to the motor. Mercury pressurizes  the tank to push oil to the motor. Either way there should be no pressure while the motor is shut down. You know you will drop a little oil because the line will likely be full.. but your not going to put your eye out or anything :)

13 hours ago, Foulhook said:

Lol. Thanks, yeah it is Yamaha. I’ll where goggles :)

I did the following on my Yamadog 115 1995 on my MA...well, DonH and Idid.

1.) Take off the tubing

2.) replace the filter that is in line as long as you have it off

3.) dump all the oil and clean out the tank..you might have some gunk in the bottom

4.) Clean the strainer tube into the tank

5.) take off the connections to the oil reserve tank and then blow out the line to clean it with air

6.) to check if its working, drain the reserve tank on the engine when you are ready to start the refill process

7.) when you turn the key, the tank on the engine should fill the tank by the little motor on the bottom of the reserve tank

Should take about 3-4 hours to do if it's your first time...you'll need to remove all the hardware to tie it down in the bilge area

Yes, you can easily carry a set of "jumpers" to get you started..

Do you have a charger on your starter batteries that you connect at the same time as the TM?

If not, for $50, get a simple low amp charger and charger your starter every time you go out...be sure to take good care of your water lead cell battery or you could loose a cell.

Do you start your engine on the muffs every time you go out?  This  will give you an indicator of a battery problem if you are having one...

Depending on how old the batteries are, you can keep one of the two, and if you want it as a spare - I keep one in my truck box, I just charge it on my mini charger.

I will look to see if I can find the thread where DonH and i took apart the entire system and we documented it here on the forum.

DC

• 2 months later...

Archived