Garmin GPSmap 1040xs Screen Delaminating!?

Ron in Atlanta

Took a look at the screen of my Garmin while washing the boat down the other day and saw this...

5c3e4df73f0fb_GarminDelamination-3.thumb.jpg.10ce22b1ff77e75e4b6d9ac39f24e912.jpg

5c3e4e00cbfb8_GarminDelamination-4.thumb.jpg.4972afaa5d5ca3fed28a3f2af18d80a7.jpg

5c3e4de5dc5aa_GarminDelamination-2.thumb.jpg.2ea747f1bec2c2dab4907beb42011e7a.jpg

My first though was that the unit must have shipped, when new, with a layer of protective film over the screen, the dealer who installed it forgot to remove it and now it was starting to peel off.  I called Garmin support who told me THAT THE UNIT DOES NOT SHIP WITH PROTECTIVE FILM.  Uh-oh.

The unit is over 2 1/2 years old, warrantee period is only 2 years.  Garmin Support suggested that I send pictures and request for warrantee replacement to Customer Support which I did explaining that the boat and equipment gets the best care, etc., etc. and that if the screen was delaminating it must be a manufacturing defect not poor care.  To their credit, they agreed and will replace the unit.

Here's the question, what could have possibly caused this unit's screen to delaminate???  Boat lives under a full cover when not in use...

IMG_2232.thumb.jpg.89e1e8884e4153a10fb18a0d15b91567.jpg

she even gets towed with a console cover that is towable and does not flap around at all.  All this to keep the sun off of everything.  My only guess is the heat under that blue cover in the summer may have caused this trouble.  There is a solar powered exhaust fan installed in the cover, may not be enough to cool things down.

Anyone ever had a screen delaminate?  What could be causing the problem?  I don't want to mess up the new unit.

Garmin Delamination-1.jpg

Thank you all for the information, i.e.....

1) More vents in the cover to cool the interior down.

2) Keep the screen cover off while in storage.

3) "They all do it" or at least many Garmin units have the same issue and they will replace the units , even beyond the warrantee period.

I am having the unit "de-installed" today.  Just need to remember to copy the 450 personal waypoints onto an SD Card before sending it away (rocks visible at low tide, sand bars in the middle of various channels, eagles nests, all the private marks on Lake Lanier, etc.).

See you out there.

Archived