GPS Screen Size

fin-addict

Fin,  I installed a Garmin 94sv in the dash of my 2009 model 2200....but, it does eat up all the space in you want a flush mount, when I bought the boat, previous owner had 5” model and a vhf in the dash....I bought a piece of  1/2” starboard and added the 9” Garmin and a Pathfinder glove box. I just preferred to have it flush mounted rather than on top of console. ( personal preference) .

i hope this helps....let me know if you have any questions about it on measurements etc. 

here is a pic for your reference.....JJ

1CBE2E50-28BC-4295-B39B-302F37E9C23F.jpeg

B6BD16D6-B757-4B14-8736-C652F9A143EE.jpeg

37 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

Already have a vhf and stereo flush mounted where your glove box is. Was looking for same unit as yours, thanks much

If your vhf and stereo is mounted on top of one another....you may be able to mount the 94 sv next to it.....or do the starboard job like I did.....good luck with it....going from a 5 inch screen to the 9 inch was an amazing difference 

In the next month or so, I am going to attempt to upgrade from a 7” Garmin to a 9”.  If at all possible, I am going to try to fit two 9” machines by removing the glovebox.    I am going with the 942xs touchscreen model because it requires a slightly smaller cutout than the Echomap 94sv.  

That 840 was 11.5" L  x  7.4" W.  That was pretty big.  The 942xs, because it is touch screen and doesn't have all the buttons, is a good bit more compact, yet has a bigger screen.  The physical dimension of the 942xs is 10.1" L x 6.4" W.   I could end up being wrong, but I think I can fit two of the 942's flush in my console.  I have done a bunch of measuring inside the console, and I am going to turn it over to a professional in the hopes that he can make it work.

It gets tough comparing different years and styles of units. The screen size is based on the diagonal measurement so comparing an old square screen to the modern rectangular screens is tough. On average new units are not as tall and tend to be wider. However with touch screens only units the width drops dramatically. 

Comparing consoles from boat to boat is also tough. I wish MPG would give each console design a number and list the dimensions.  That would make conversations easier. No need to list boat and year, just list design style/number.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Egrets Landing said:

Hope you run only in the bluewater.  Trying to use that navigate inshore with it would be pretty useless.

Why do you say that, always use it for inshore. Navionics much better than the g2, much more detail. Shortly you will be able to download Navionics into unit from Garmin at no cost, one month. 

If you are running the ICW, wider deeper channels, the ocean or wide open bays like the middle of charlotte harbor, no problem.  Most people who find them to be totally fine run deeper drafting rigs that run mostly in those open and deeper areas.   For any other areas inshore such as the inside Rim that are less than 3' with narrow cuts, bars, obstacles and required turns and that charts are poor at best and in some areas totally wrong and dangerous.   For those kinds of areas which are all over the SE in Louisiana, and Florida and other parts of the Gulf coast it is useless and they only way you can use the gps to safely navigate in poor light is to run previously run tracks that you have laid down.  You can't do it on the map features themselves because in so many areas they are wrong or totally missing.   its not an matter of opinion.  It is what it is.  A side by side comparison of those charts vs what is really there speaks for itself.  There are literally thousands of missing and inaccurate placed features on those Garmin controlled charts and some will send you directly into a bar or obstacle if you follow them.  I can think of a number of places off the top of my head where that is clearly the case.  One near Titusville and another at Stuart.  There are plenty the Ft. Myers area including some very dangerous sunk pilings and a plethora of in the Keys, Steinhatchee and LA and NE FL.

Archived