dcathey

Any updates?

Haven’t seen anyone posting a ton but was curious if the fisheries around N Captiva have a huge drop off that you would expect after last summer. We are coming back in July but was hoping to be surprised that they have rebounded. 

I fished just a little bit north of N-Cap last weekend and was blown away by the amount of life! We caught 42 redfish. Noticeably a lot of the fish were little which is awesome to see. Most fish were in the 16-18" range. Biggest was 34". From my opinion the area is recovering quite well! Other guys I have talked to said its been the best in years. Hopefully they extend the catch and release again when it is up for debate.

• Like 1

Tons of lady fish and some reds mixed in with them,. Now an again some snook on the fly rod

I can say I haven't seen any trout around.

The water is nice and clear

• Like 1

Usually, this time of year, we are slaying the Pompano. I've been in Englewood for two weeks and haven't seen one Pompano. Anyone skipping any Pompano in the flats?

Lady fish schools are still strong here, baby snook everywhere and One tarpon hooked in my canal yesterday. I have caught a couple keeper trout since last report, but not much else.

Guides are all busy as the season may happen early this winter.. 

Planning a trip to Choko, next week.. Looking forward to it

Headed to Pine Island for the weekend. Hoping to do some pre-season/early-season tarpon flyfishing. Supposedly they are out there! Will report back after the weekend.

It seems everything is in better shape than last year. We are coming up on our annual trip and I remember last year that the red tide issues were already popping up. Any of you locals seeing anything down near N Captiva- Sanibel that is concerning? Im praying we get a good year after last years debacle.

That’s where I end up spending most of my time when I’m down there. You ever see any tripletail around in July? I’ve yet to catch one down there and figured the July heat might have a lot to do with it