Bilge Pump Question

Dixie

Maybe a stupid question.... But I'm fixing all the little nagging odds and ends on my 08 Redfisher 21 to put on the market in a couple of weeks.  The Sahara bilge pump with automatic float switch works fine when the dash switch is on but does not work when the float is pushed up.  Thought it was a bad float so I changed out and same thing?  Any thoughts? 

Thanks

Kenny, Jacksonville FL

check the wiring from pump. should be 2 red (+) positive wires and a black (-) wire. one of the red wires goes to the switch and one goes to the crank battery(usually). mine wasn't working and the red wire to the battery was totally corroded at the splice where the factory pump wire tied into the wire to the battery/fuse.

For the life of me I can't find an inline fuse.  The pump has a black, brown, and  brown / white wire.  only about 6" before it goes into the harness.  Doesn't connect directly to the starting battery.  Hard to get my 300 lbs of pure muscle ( LoL) contorted to get in the console.  Always wished there was an access hole behind the front backrest.

That's what I'm thinking Muddy.  Don't know for sure if it ever worked properly.  This boat has a pretty dry bilge and I often flip the switch on for a second out of habit and almost never have any discharge.  Shame on me for not knowing / checking as I get complacent running around in the marsh.  I checked the floats on my offshore boats before every trip.  I'll make it right as I want everything in working order when it goes on the market in a few weeks.  This switch, one of the baitwell pumps, wax job, and she's good to go.

KK

If it is the same as my 05 RF the power to the float does not come from the battery in the console, or I should say is not directly hooked to the battery in the console.  It comes from where the main power lead is hooked up on the battery switch in the bilge.  I can check when I get home but I do believe there is a fuse for it that just kinda hangs from the switch.  If the fuse is good the end going to the power might be bad,  I've had to put a new end on mine. 

So....Idiot alert!  Doh!  Battery switch in the port side box has 4 breakers...bilge breaker bad.  Jumped it and float switch works fine.  Thanks Hurricane, sometimes we can't see the obvious even when it's right under our nose.  Upside is I'm very familiar with all the wiring in the bilge now and found several suspect connections that I replaced.  Thanks to all that posted.

KK

Archived