PF vs MA21 hull

mulligan

I have read many times on here and elsewhere that the Pathfinder and MA21 hull are the same.  Maybe it is just me but I do not see it. I have not owed either nor have I crawled under them.

The PF is longer and wider, the bow entry looks different, and the running surface is different as the MA has a pad.  Is there something I am missing that these two hulls are always compared as the same?

2 hours ago, mulligan said:

I have read many times on here and elsewhere that the Pathfinder and MA21 hull are the same.  Maybe it is just me but I do not see it. I have not owed either nor have I crawled under them.

The PF is longer and wider, the bow entry looks different, and the running surface is different as the MA has a pad.  Is there something I am missing that these two hulls are always compared as the same?

They did use the 21 MA hull to design The first 22 Pathfinder mold.  They removed the pad (why on earth did they do that) and stretched the beam and length a few inches. I suppose some other subtle changes as well. 

People that say "They are the exact same hull" or "They ride the same" are misinformed.  IMO the 22 is a good ride with the 21 being the better ride.  I have spent a lot of time on both. 

5 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

People that say "They are the exact same hull" or "They ride the same" are misinformed.

I've spent time in a MA21 many times with Capt Peter Babb....I owned a Pathy 22 for 5 years....granted, different engines, etc.; however, I wonder if the difference in the "ride" is more to do with your seating position, relative to the water level than major hull differences...

The MA appears to "cut the chop", but, I a Pathfinder will do the same...it's just you are normally standing or higher up on the leaning post and the ride "feels different"...

Don't know....but, something I've thought about...

dc

The hulls (21MA and 22PF) are noticeably different in looks. I owned both and it was hard to tell a difference between them in ride aside from the seating differences as Dino stated. I will say that when I stepped up to the 24 Pathfinder the ride difference was immediately noticeable but I did lose that "sports car" feel. 

13 minutes ago, CG RYAN said:

I will say that when I stepped up to the 24 Pathfinder the ride difference was immediately noticeable. 

I rode in my buddy's 24....now that's a whole different animal.....I ran his boat the first time in the water at Choko on a low tide....he wanted some tracks on his GPS to get in and out of Outdoor Resorts on the S-Curve....not the Lopez......let's just say there was a bit of pucker factor for him....especially after I told him later that I had broken two skegs when I tried to run it on a "negative low" :)  

Nothing like......the sound of breaking aluminum at 630 am.....

I just telling him.....don't worry....there's plenty of water (LOL).....

My avatar used to be in my Pathy......standing birds fear me :)

DonH and I have heard the Woooo Wooo Wooo a few times in all the skiffs we fish....17T (yeah....woo woo ) hard to believe....the HPXt 17....yep, as DonH said to me as we are running the outside on a negative low...."Yeah Dino....are those birds standing in from to us?"....Wooo Woo Woo....and my favorite....running the mud flat between Chatham and New Turkey....he looks at me in the 22 Pathy and says...do you think there is enough water?   I say, "a little late for that question, I think I need to raise the JP to 6 ? "

in the larger 22 foot vessels you can take some chances....but, in the 24's...you get stuck and you are there for the tide change...but, what ride they have....you can span the waves and enjoy the ride in a serious 2 foot chop....

DC 

3 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

Sounds like good times Dino. Ive experienced that pucker factor many times running Charlotte Harbor on low tides with a bay boat. When you know if you slow down it will "stick" is always a sketchy feeling.

Oh I hate that feeling.  There has to be a term for that depth where, if on plane you cruise, but off plane you stick.   That depth where one rock or one small hump sends you careening in a pile into the bow and leaves parts of your outboard further behind you than they should be . .  

Archived