Starting January 1, boaters in the Everglades National Park will be required to have a valid Boater Permit.  This can be obtained only after taking an online course and passing an assessment with a score of 80 or higher.  The Permit must be presented as a paper copy or saved as an image accessible on an electronic device if requested by a law enforcement officer.  The cost is $50.  You can save yourself some money by taking the course and assessment prior to January 1.  Here's a link to the course:  http://provalenslearning.com/national-park-service/everglades-boater-education-course

5 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Starting January 1, boaters in the Everglades National Park will be required to have a valid Boater Permit.  This can be obtained only after taking an online course and passing an assessment with a score of 80 or higher.  The Permit must be presented as a paper copy or saved as an image accessible on an electronic device if requested by a law enforcement officer.  The cost is $50.  You can save yourself some money by taking the course and assessment prior to January 1.  Here's a link to the course:  http://provalenslearning.com/national-park-service/everglades-boater-education-course

most excellent information....I will sign up today....

Is this only for the captain or anyone on the vessel?

dc

• Like 1

An earthenware vessel of excrement.  (The part about $50)

The course is actually well done and a reasonable request by the park service to ensure protection of ENP.  A few years ago, I screwed up big time and ran aground on the west end of First Natl Bank in an area I thought I knew.  I had Stoots with me and ended up being able to walk the boat off (long trip).  I think that's about the most embarrassed I've been while fishing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sunstone said:

Thanks for posting but what a waste of time.  I learned nothing I didn't already know.   

Sunstone...I feel it's not for those of us who have fished the glades for many years and respect the water....it's for the weekend ya-hoo who comes down and has no idea what the flats are all about and tears up the grass flats on his first hole shot out of the marina.

I feel it has some basic information to help the boaters be more eco-friendly....it's  a compromise....it was either a boating course...or the park was treating to close off major areas unless they see education working.....still could happen...but, hopefully not in my fishing lifetime.

DC

55 minutes ago, conocean said:

Thanks, Dave. This was the buzz with all my Choko neighbors the past week I was down there (fishing was excellent Dec26-31!). The course is still free as of this morning.

Can anyone find the NPS link that states the new permit requirement, etc? 

I was looking as well. Figure it’s been a little over 3 years since the final study was released so probably another 3 to 17 years to execute anything regarding the findings😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, conocean said:

Thanks, Dave. This was the buzz with all my Choko neighbors the past week I was down there (fishing was excellent Dec26-31!). The course is still free as of this morning.

Can anyone find the NPS link that states the new permit requirement, etc? 

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.southfloridaparks.org%2Fnews%2Fhigher-entrance-fees-everglades-national-park-take-effect-january-2019%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0Y5KgL2-SxhCGZSQll6-AKRzz96APrfFwSsYd6qjZIxWiksk9HTbblq5Y&h=AT01RDqGrkm-zT0Ny1XCMyikrTK5OI0HIxRd2WBZowK9Vw1tpvsrgxUKAGQxpqNZm8JBRW5BW-dnEWxic4PDcRbdfNfIEiHIYIqJRtbn3m_3z1WmWeSL5jua4bThctOKDbde_8A

• 2 weeks later...