Fish Sling

Donh

I would rather measure the  fish at boat side and estimate the weight.  During the summer we fish the stripers in NE and never use a boga on a 40-50 lb fish. There are graphs that estimate length /girth for weight,if that's important.  It's a death sentence unfortunately.  Musky fishermen use a sling with 2 handles to lift the fish which gives it full support .

Hanging large fish from a boga grip is a death sentence.

Get a fish bag, weigh it and then properly lift the fish and deduct the bag weight. IGFA does not to the best of my knowledge allow fish to be weighed on a boat.

Length and Girth formulas are out there. They are fairly accurate and I have tested them by killing a lot of big fish. Ain't proud of it but have done it and have the t-shirt.

My need is for the WPB Fishing Club Records and the Annual Fishing contest. Fish weight is the criteria. Last year (2018) I had the biggest snook at 30 pounds. Going forward I’m not going to hang anymore of those big fish. Some of the black drum up around Titusville easily go 20-30 pounds and more. Club records generally follow IGFA rules. Record fish must be weighed from land including wading or from a grounded boat.The Annual Fishing Contest is a little more laxed.

Thought I could save a few bucks by making one. The Club has one for $65. 

Archived