WTB 17-18 MA or 16-18 Hewes

nurd

7 hours ago, nurd said:

Looking to buy MA or Hewes.  Wish list to include 4 stroke, trolling motor and power pole.  Year is not important, just looking for a nice and dependable vessel.  Budget is up to $18k.  

"Two completely different vessels.......even 3 different...

The MA is has a superior ride in the chop......the RF is a great boat as a combo - meaning some poling and some live bait and trolling motor....

I suggest you take some time and truly understand what your fishing needs are...and then go from there....

The MA17 and MA18 are completely different vs a 16-18RF...I've owned the RF18, and Pathy 22, a Pathy17T, and now a MA17....my MA17 is a sweet vessel and very different vs the 18RF...the 18 and 16RF are great skiffs, but, very different in both ride and handling vs the 17-18MA....

This is a great place to learn...enjoy the journey.....

dc

On 12/22/2018 at 7:37 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

"Two completely different vessels.......even 3 different...

The MA is has a superior ride in the chop......the RF is a great boat as a combo - meaning some poling and some live bait and trolling motor....

I suggest you take some time and truly understand what your fishing needs are...and then go from there....

The MA17 and MA18 are completely different vs a 16-18RF...I've owned the RF18, and Pathy 22, a Pathy17T, and now a MA17....my MA17 is a sweet vessel and very different vs the 18RF...the 18 and 16RF are great skiffs, but, very different in both ride and handling vs the 17-18MA....

This is a great place to learn...enjoy the journey.....

dc

Please define ‘completely different’. I am in the same boat as the original post and everything I have read in this forum suggests the reason the MA is no longer in production is because it had comepeted directly with the Hewes. There is a reason maverick is now specifically poling skiff, hewes is traditional flats and pathfinder is bay. 

Why do so you feel a hewes redfisher and MA are so different?

i am looking for a good all around boat and both the MA and the hewes seem to fit the bill, granted the MA owners tend to ask for a premium based on the hull while the power is an older two stroke compared to better power on a comparable Hewes. The hull was slightly different but the deck layout was exactly the same for a number of years. 

4 hours ago, Bradentuky said:

Why do so you feel a hewes redfisher and MA are so different?

I have owned all the boats you mention herein....I have owned a 18RF, then a 22 Pathfinder, then a 17 Pathfinder Tunnel, and now a MA17 (1995 with a 115 two smoker original).

As well, I ran my buddy's boat, Capt DonH's 17HPX Tunnel for almost 3 years, meaning I drove most of the time when we went fishing in Chokoloskee.

If you are going to compare the MA and RF you'll have to compare the same years, e.g. early to mid 1990's to early 2000 when they changed to the new hull design on the RF - it went from a Lappy to a smooth hull and they deck layout changed.

In those years, the RF's were still being used a great deal for poling as the HPX series was coming of age.  The hull design's are different, where the older MA, while it can be polled, is not as polling friendly due to it's beam and stability.....I can walk the gunnels without any tippy-ness (if that's a word) where on my 18RF a 2003, it was not as comfortable.

As well, the hull design and the way it runs in a heavy chop, with the pronounced V, is quiet different from a comparable RF16-18...the deck layout is different, as is the console and rear deck layout.......I never understood the rage until I actually owned one....in fact, I bought mine, without ever having been in one, and took the recommendation of my friends on the forum who had owned them and bought it blind.

the MA hull, evolved into the Pathfinder 22 hull (specifically the 22 Master Angler that has gone away).

There is nothing wrong with a RF16-18 it just depends on your fishing style and what you are looking for...yes, deck layouts change over time....the RF went to a "Light Tackle for a few years", it was a bit heavier, but, build for live baiting and speed...this evolved into the 22 RF which was the "tourney boat many owned and was a rocket ship with its 200 + HP engines to get you to the spot and back for a RF tourney"....the RF then evolved into what it is today, with a different deck layout then the 90's, flip up seat if you like that option, etc. etc.     

I was recently in a 2018 RF18 with a 150 show and it was a heavy, ,stable vessel..and fast a heck....The older MA with the 115's due to the design are not speed demons....mine with a 4 blade tops out at 37-38mph...which is fast enough for me...

I don't know the reason why MHP moved out of the MA in preference to the RF.....if you look from the new way MHP manufactures, I'm sure it had to do with mold maintenance, parts inventory, customer offering, etc....many have asked for the MA to be brought back........however, it's obvious on the development of the Mirage and HPX series as they are kevlar and built for stealth and easy of polling...and this segment of the sport has mushroomed....

Again, just one person's opinion.....but, take a look at the recent poll on the same topic up in the main forum....every boat is a compromise....$$$ you want to spend....type of fishing you'll do, where, fish you will stalk, etc. etc.

The key is to try and find one that's been taken care of, has good compression, doesn't show any signs of abuse and has best of all garage kept...or at least a full cover.

enjoy the journey....take your time....my MA came out of the blue and I've been happy since.....I bought my MA 17 for $11.5K, and have put (excluding my personal goodies) -carb rebuild, plugs, engine oil, impeller, new axel, re-wire trailer, etc....about $2k...now, all the other stuff like powerpole's, etc...I don't count...they are they toys and have nothing to do with the ride or performance :)

DC

If anyone is interested in a wonderful RF 16, contact Liflyfish at the number in the previous post.  It is actually to nice for my needs.  Me, on the other hand, is still on the hunt.  If anyone has a good conditioned, moderately priced MA or RF, preferably 17 or 18', please let me know.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived