Prop Help 17V with 115 SHO

wayne11420

13 hours ago, wayne11420 said:

Any help much appreciated. Have a PTR3 21 and seems to not be the ticket. Want best hole shot/ Cruise compromise. Anyone test this combo yet? Thanks

a 17V with a 115SHO..that must be a rocket ship....sounds like a 21 pitch is over prop'd 

On my Yamadog 115 1995 Two smoker...I went down to a 15 Pitch 4 blade  Power Tech and have been pretty happy...I need hole shot for Chokoloskee.

dc

29 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

a 17V with a 115SHO..that must be a rocket ship....sounds like a 21 pitch is over prop'd 

On my Yamadog 115 1995 Two smoker...I went down to a 15 Pitch 4 blade  Power Tech and have been pretty happy...I need hole shot for Chokoloskee.

dc

A 21 pitch 3-blade is perfect for the 18 V with a 115 SHO, so I don't think the 17v is over propped. But none of us can say for sure, unless we know the numbers he is currently getting with the PTR 3. I have tested the PTR3. There are better 3 blade options imo.  Then again, every boat motor combination has different needs

Capt Benny Blanco had a 17 HPX with a tlrb115 2 stroke , it had a 2.0 ratio lower unit and ran a 21 pro series Yamaha k-21 prop that he got from me .  The SHO 115 has a 2.15 ratio lower unit so it will be a little easier to turn a 21 than the old smoker TLRB115 115 was . The Yamaha Performance bulletin ran a 19 pro series Yamaha 3 blade with a 90 hp set up so a 21 On your combo should be close  . All set ups are a little different so you never know what the perfect match for your combo is until you try them ..    Joe R 

14 hours ago, dabear said:

Capt Benny Blanco had a 17 HPX with a tlrb115 2 stroke , it had a 2.0 ratio lower unit and ran a 21 pro series Yamaha k-21 prop that he got from me .  The SHO 115 has a 2.15 ratio lower unit so it will be a little easier to turn a 21 than the old smoker TLRB115 115 was . The Yamaha Performance bulletin ran a 19 pro series Yamaha 3 blade with a 90 hp set up so a 21 On you combo should be close  . All set ups are a little different so you never know what the perfect match for your combo is until you try them ..    Joe R 

Joe,

Thanks for the explanation....good learning...

dc

5 hours ago, wayne11420 said:

Ok sorry. so top end tried 5700 to 5800 rpm. roughly 50-52 MPH loaded 1 person. Hole shot is not great but I guess ok. Wanting better hole shot. Any suggestions? Anyone have this set up that can chime in?

Same motor as mine, but different boat.  My Redfisher 16 is heavier.  The only thing I can say with certainty is that your motor is working too hard to get on plane and is not reaching the "sweet-spot maximum RPM range" of 6200-6300 at WOT.  I have a Mercury Spitfire X7 13 x 17 pitch 4-blade that "rocket launches" my boat on plane, tops out at 49 mph at 6300 rpm, and holds its grip in turns and high trim.  You might need the 19 pitch version for your rig, to keep from hitting the rev limit - but that's just a guess.  Another prop that comes to mind as a good possibility for your setup is the new Yamaha Talon SS4 4-blade 18 pitch.  However, this prop is a Unicorn that very few people have seen.  I've never been able to find a part number or a supplier that stocks them.

Archived