Happy Lappy

Shark Eyes Install

I finished installing the new trolling motor and now I need to take care of the nav lights that i had to remove.  I purchased some led shark eyes and need your help with the install.  I'm a little hesitant to cut a hole in the side of the boat.  How should I go about it and what tools should I use.  What should I be careful of and expect?  4200 even thought the lights have a rubber gasket?

20181215_140822.jpg

20181215_152522.jpg

I agree with polliwog. Installing nav lights on the console is much easier and not subject to much saltwater. If you are dead set on installing lights on the hull, they make round s/s light fixtures with LED lights.  Much easier to install, all you need is the appropriate size hole saw and a drill. 

If you want the shark eyes I’m sure if you use the old standard measure twice cut once you will be fine. Just measure up your base and see how small of a hole you can get away with. 

If it were my boat I would buy the lights that go on the rub rail. I just did a quick search and it looks like you could find quite a few that would work. You could run your screws through the rubber into the top cap and they would be there forever. 

On 1/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, heweymagoos said:

pretty sure in the last year or so they made console mounted nav lights illegal 

do you have link to one that you like?  I'm only finding the ones that huge

I had console mounted nav lights on my first Lappy and hated the amount of light that hit my eyes while driving. I have shark eyes on my Light Tackle and love them. I used the gasket that came with them as a template. It was a lot easier install than most of the extras on my boat.