Ride Quality Comparison: Hewes vs. Maverick

Zara Spook

Which has the best ride in terms of smoothness and dryness?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which has the best ride in terms of smoothness and dryness?

• Hewes Redfisher 16 (Lappy Hull)
    • Hewes Redfisher 16 (Newer Hull)
    • Maverick HPX-V 17
    • Maverick MA 17

I agree kinda a odd comparison.  If you want to pole, focus on the HPX, if you want best ride focus on the Mav, if you want a combination of the two focus on the Hewes  

I haven’t been on all of those but owned a 16 Lappy for 10 years and will tell you it’s a very underrated ride.  Since you asked about it,  newer model has nothing on it ride wise, but does seem noticeably more stable to me. 

I have owned and rode in a 2003 RF for years and a 2010 18 HPX the HPX has a little better and a lot dryer ride than the 16 RF had . The deflection spray rails mounted from the factory under the rub rail really does a good job deflecting the spray . The 16 RF was more stable when fishing with people that you didn’t normally have in your boat . The 16 RF drafted a little more water , it is way wider than the 18 HPX which made it feel more stable until you get accustomed to the more narrow HPX design . The Ma 17 will draft a lot more than the HPX 18 and a little more than the 16 RF . The Ma 17 will have a better ride than both and be more stable while fishing than both . The 17 Ma is not a speed demon but is the best riding 17 foot boat that I have ever been in . Three very different boat hull designs all do things that they are designed to do great . The 18 HPX is like driving a sports car , the 16 RF is like a mid size family car ride and the 17 Ma is like a turnpike cruiser or a full size town car ride .  Three great boats that perform and ride very different. 

Archived