Poling platform mounting

SouthernWake

I have noticed my platform swaying side to side as I hit bumps while trailering more than I would like as well as some movement while I am poling. The screws are not backing out nor loose.

any ideas on how to sturdy it up?

I am thinking of making an oversized backing plate as it is currently bolted down with large washers to hopefully give it a wider surface area, will this help?

• 2 weeks later...

on my older Hewes platform was held with lag bolts.  When we modified (taller to fit engine) guy who reinstalled did poor job.. so, drilled 2 extra holes in transom mounting plate, oversized all the lag bolts and 4200 the heck out of it.  Solid platform to pole from after that.    (it was NOT bolted thru.  If yours is, a large backing plate might be a better solution)

I found out the only backing to the platform was rusted galvanized fender washers. I went ahead and made some larger plates out of flat stock which seemed to help some but there is still some play. I am thinking about through bolting the transom lag bolts but am worried my problem is in the geometry of the platform and not the mounting.

EB4ABC3C-15F0-4213-83F2-CCC670C563E6.jpeg

It is one of the problems with a build of hull and full cap.  You can't get to the hull for this kind of issue.  My platform on a 20ft LT Hewes has a leg of the platform lag bolted to the transom which started to leak.  fortunately the boat yard was able to drill a 2 inch hole in the liner to access the area that needed to be throughbolted .  Lag bolting to anything that has a lot of pressure on it doesn't stay tight.

Archived