HDSLIVE vs SIMRAD

Flats Man

Upgrading my GPS in the near future and leaning towards the HDSLIVE 12. I know this decision has a lot to do with personal preference but is anyone aware of any advantages the SIMRAD EVO3 has over the HDSLIVE12? The Navico rep tells me the SolarMax screen on the HDSLIVE is from the Simrad EVO3. The LiveSight transducer will be available sometime in 2nd quarter 2019,  we'll have to wait and see if that happens as I've heard conflicting reports of that release date. Planning on getting an extra power cord, bracket and 3 in 1 transducer so I can use the same HDSLIVE head unit on both of my boats. Will add the LiveSight transducer and radar to my offshore boat in the future. Will also be getting the South Florida FMT chip.  I know I can't go wrong with either unit but want to make sure I do my homework before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance!

What is the $ difference ?

BTW, there has not been a lot of Navico systems reported here....I know of them from my reading, but, it appears they are more big boat, sailing solutions?

Personally, EVO3 is now proven technology by Simrad......I would probably go in that direction...at the level of a EVO3 vs hDSLive12, it's hard to believe there will be a vast improvement?

DC

Thanks for the response Dino, the Lowrance HDSLIVE appears to be less expensive by a few hundred bucks from what I've seen so far not including any rebates. Was originally leaning towards the Evo3 when I discovered the new HDSLIVE unit and it caught my attention. Still might end up with the Evo as its a great unit, just trying to gather as much info as possible because it's a lot of money. In my opinion the HDSLIVE is basically a Gen5 HDS unit. The Carbon was discontinued and replaced with this unit I believe in October. They both have the SolarMax screen but the soon to be out LiveSight on the HDSLIVE is really important to me, just wondering if Navico will make LiveSight available on the SimRad unit also, don't think we'll know until some time in 2019. The fact that Navico owns both Simrad and Lowrance is the reason for the similarities and makes it that much harder to choose. Just hoping for that bit of information to steer me in the right direction or I'll have to wait until 2nd quarter 2019 to see if the LiveSight will be on the Simrad.  Thanks again sir!

10 hours ago, Flats Man said:

Thanks for the response Dino, the Lowrance HDSLIVE appears to be less expensive by a few hundred bucks from what I've seen so far not including any rebates. Was originally leaning towards the Evo3 when I discovered the new HDSLIVE unit and it caught my attention. Still might end up with the Evo as its a great unit, just trying to gather as much info as possible because it's a lot of money. In my opinion the HDSLIVE is basically a Gen5 HDS unit. The Carbon was discontinued and replaced with this unit I believe in October. They both have the SolarMax screen but the soon to be out LiveSight on the HDSLIVE is really important to me, just wondering if Navico will make LiveSight available on the SimRad unit also, don't think we'll know until some time in 2019. The fact that Navico owns both Simrad and Lowrance is the reason for the similarities and makes it that much harder to choose. Just hoping for that bit of information to steer me in the right direction or I'll have to wait until 2nd quarter 2019 to see if the LiveSight will be on the Simrad.  Thanks again sir!

I am sorry I misunderstood about the HDSLIVE...I thought it was a NAVICO specific model and I forgot that Navico owns Lowrance.  Yes, if the Lowrance meet your needs, salvo the knob, it might be the way to go....I will say, that even with the EVO2, the speed of processing is fine, but, any higher speed processor will only work better if your are speaking about a Gen5.  The screen, while important, in today's world, is not going to make a huge difference, IMHO.  I used to do serious photography, and my monitor was about $1500, still have it, and I needed it for Lightroom work....but, on a skiff, I"m not sure I'd pay more for a GPS screen.......

It would be great to find an EVO2 discounted...as mentioned, I bought the LAST EVO2 from WM....it was a floor model from their store in Los Angles and I got it for about $1K on a price check....as well, depending on you set up....12" is really nice, but, for my skiff, the 9" screen works just fine.

DC

Simrad beats lowrance if you want high power ducer and want to run AP or radar and other goodies for offshore.  So if that doesnt apply to you Id rec you get in the store and play with each.... personally i like the HDS interface way better than the EVO.  The main thing I like about the HDS is the abililty to sow any readout (depth speed temp etc) on any screen and in the exact location you want 

No problem Dino, that's my fault, I failed to mention Lowrance in my original post, appreciate your thoughts. I do like that knob on the Evo! For this type of purchase I plan on buying from WM too and getting their warranty, I hear they have the best warranty for this type of purchase.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! How easy is it to see the screen in direct sunlight on the older Lowrance HDS and Simrad Evo units? Especially when wearing polarized glasses? Have heard concerns about this and I know manufacturers are taking steps with newer units to resolve the issue. Not sure how long the SolarMax screen has been out but I know it was on the Simrad EVO first just not sure which generation it came out on, and now it's available on the new Lowrance HDSLIVE.

I have no issue seeing my HDS gen 3, 9" in direct sunlight and have heard the EVO is the same..... EVO screen has a mirror shine to it though whereas the HDS has a matte finish.... I always figured the EVO would reflect sunlight worse.  All units beyond the HDS carbon have the new tech screen that can be viewed with polarized glasses better and are brighter as well

Archived