Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
whichwaysup

OX66 100 hour help

Recommended Posts

Hey all -

I need a little help from those of you who are mechanically inclined.   

Question 1:  I'm going to do the 100 hr maintenance on my 2000 OX66 and then "mothball" her until the boat is completed.  I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer who is going to walk me through it and help, but I need to order the parts.

Obviously:

-  new impeller

- replace sparkplugs

- replace fuel filter(s) + fuel water separator

- replace lower unit oil

- Check/replace oil filter 

What am I missing in terms of parts?

Anyone have a good list of parts for the 100 hr maintenance?  Any recommendations on getting an engine ready to sit for a year?  Is there a kit available?

 

Question 2:  Also, I'm trying to confirm the year of my engine.   It was sold to me as a 2001, as was the boat, but I discovered that the boat was actually a 2000 based on the serial number.   I've looked up the engine codes on the yamaha site, but seem to be missing the critical letter.

here's what I've got:   

VX = VMax

150 = 150hp

L = 20" shaft

6J9 = ???

T = Power tilt/trim

I assume the 001461 is part of the unique serial number . . . 

But where is the year code?  Should be an X, Y, or Z for the years I would expect it to be (1999-2001).  

Or, am I confusing the VX (VMAX EFI) with V (Vmax non EFI)  and X (year 1999)??

 

2016-11-21 09.10.38.jpg

yamaha_models.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check with SIM Yamaha online.  That guy is very helpful, his prices are good, and they might have a kit that includes everything you need. 

As far as the year, I am not sure about back then, but they do not put year models on them now.  Only date of manufacture.  That should be on the other side of the engine.

edit:  I see the fine print.  The current policy started after 2005.  So yours should have a model year, it seems.  I can't remember the guy's name at SIM, but he could probably set you up with exactly what you need with your serial number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question, why do all this before you put it in mothball, the impeller would be no good? I would drain fuel system completely, I mean everything! Put some oil in the cylinders and crank it over a few times to spread it around. Seal up the intake and exhaust so no air gets into the power head to cause corrosion. Then when you take it out then you do all the service you mentioned. Oh yeah, spray the entire power head and every bolt with corrosion inhibitor.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Question, why do all this before you put it in mothball, the impeller would be no good? I would drain fuel system completely, I mean everything! Put some oil in the cylinders and crank it over a few times to spread it around. Seal up the intake and exhaust so no air gets into the power head to cause corrosion. Then when you take it out then you do all the service you mentioned. Oh yeah, spray the entire power head and every bolt with corrosion inhibitor.

Exactly!!!  Make sure VST is completely drained and cleaned.  Pickle with some 2 stroke oil and store in dry place.  Address service parts when she’s ready to run again.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kinda assuming here, but 2000 and 2001 are the same, don't think you will find a difference in minor parts.

Also I don't think I would do the service before storage. For sure it will be bad for the impeller.  Just Google, winterize outboard. Do that and then service before you get back in the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about winterizing a boat being from Florida but here is a list of my basic yearly service.  Every other year or so I do a little more in depth service.

  Price: Status:
$20.30 Shipped
$1.88 Shipped
$81.25 Shipped
$44.76 Shipped
$8.86 Shipped
$1.94 Shipped
$23.82 Shipped
$34.52 Shipped
$23.17 Shipped
$17.55 Shipped
$10.80 Shipped
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mulligan said:

I know nothing about winterizing a boat being from Florida but here is a list of my basic yearly service.  Every other year or so I do a little more in depth service.

  Price: Status:
$20.30 Shipped
$1.88 Shipped
$81.25 Shipped
$44.76 Shipped
$8.86 Shipped
$1.94 Shipped
$23.82 Shipped
$34.52 Shipped
$23.17 Shipped
$17.55 Shipped
$10.80 Shipped
 

Mulligan, what engine are you running on your boat?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VZ250  I just put that there to give you an idea, not to use the part numbers.

Funny part about that list is the rigging clamp for $1.94.  I thought it was some special hold down, nope.  Just a zip tie!  $1.94 for 1 zip tie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impeller, plugs, and fuel filters would be done when recommissioned, not when putting it away. Do the gear lube, grease all points, drain fuel, and fog. Don't forget to let run 30 minutes or so with stabilizer in tank. Do all that and then spray everything under cowling with corrosion block and you are good to go. Id also make sure to trim the motor every once in a while. Sitting seems to cause lots of trim and seal issues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 3:08 PM, whichwaysup said:

 

Question 2:  Also, I'm trying to confirm the year of my engine.   It was sold to me as a 2001, as was the boat, but I discovered that the boat was actually a 2000 based on the serial number.   I've looked up the engine codes on the yamaha site, but seem to be missing the critical letter.

here's what I've got:   

VX = VMax

150 = 150hp

L = 20" shaft

6J9 = ???

T = Power tilt/trim

I assume the 001461 is part of the unique serial number . . . 

But where is the year code?  Should be an X, Y, or Z for the years I would expect it to be (1999-2001).  

 

The year code is on the part of the decal that has been scraped off, following the VX150. It almost looks like it was done intentionally, in that the rest of the decal looks to be in great shape. The photos below are what an undamaged one should look like. That said, the maintenance parts are almost always the same across multiple years of the same model engine, you're almost certainly fine with what everyone above has suggested. Good luck! 

 image.jpeg.b2abdb6bf2515c59af0da21e9c3b6cac.jpeg

Image result for yamaha outboard serial number decal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×