Improved Cheese Grater

geeviam

18 minutes ago, mulligan said:

You guys sure do make me feel a ease.  The driver would more than likely be my girlfriend who knows my life insurance policy has her name on ito.O.  Maybe I will just hang my phone over for a video.

That would be no fun......unless you drop your phone!!! How about a GoPro attached to the corner of the deck and your first suggestion of hanging over the transom at WOT, that sounds like much better entertainment!! Be sure to wear your Costas so you will look really cool and post on Instagram!! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Just make sure you stick your head directly in line with the keel so you can do an accurate comparison of port and starboard performance.   Best to do it as close to the prop as possible and at high RPMs.    xD

Ive done this on my boat at 60 plus mph. Had an issue with a foil causing cavitation at high speed and wanted to see how to modify the foil to fix it. I was scared to death. I told my buddy driving to not go over 60, which of course he didnt

So the question from me is what would be the best overall hole design?

I had some time after work yesterday to cut a plate out and now just need to start drilling today to have it ready for the weekend.  My thoughts were to have holes like Geevian but maybe add two more on another row.  Then also add a vertical hole at the rear away from the centerline to allow some pressure out.  I would make the hole at the rear slightly larger and taper it,  wider inside.  My thought is it would allow water in at rest and pressure out if need be without creating suction and turbulence.  Thoughts?

There are lots of thoughts on the position and angle of the holes. It seems everyone involved in this thread has there own idea of what works best. You and I talked about it when we did mine and went with Geeviam's idea. Making the jig to drill the holes was brilliant I might add! haha

I want to wet test mine too, so get yours done and let's get on the water this weekend to see what works and what does not.

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

So the question from me is what would be the best overall hole design?

I had some time after work yesterday to cut a plate out and now just need to start drilling today to have it ready for the weekend.  My thoughts were to have holes like Geevian but maybe add two more on another row.  Then also add a vertical hole at the rear away from the centerline to allow some pressure out.  I would make the hole at the rear slightly larger and taper it,  wider inside.  My thought is it would allow water in at rest and pressure out if need be without creating suction and turbulence.  Thoughts?

I agree with your thinking Mulligan.  My main plan was to keep the holes (turbulence) as far away from the prop as possible. So far, I still only have the four angled holes in the picture. I'm probably going to drill one small vertical hole on the other side for water to drain out when the boat is pulled out. The pressure is not too strong now with the (4) 5/32 inch holes, but I can see where you would want more vertical holes if more water volume and flow was needed, which would also relieve pressure.  Just thinking out loud, but I think the four angled holes is enough angled holes. The rest should be vertical, or you will add more drag and instability. If you need more water volume and flow to the well, run the pump while on plane, and it will pick up the extra water, with the extra vertical holes. Remember, you can always drill more holes, so starting with less is better. Not easy to remove that plate after it's been installed, and start over.

Got my plate installed last weekend with the help of Mulligan and took it out this past Sunday to see how it worked. I have the small 4 holes per Gevviam's example. I could definitely tell that I did not have to use my trim tabs and trim as much during the day to keep the boat from hopping. Definitely worth the time and effort!

On the holes, mine are to small, they worked ok while running on plane but when sitting still the sea chest would not stay full causing my livewell pump (800 GPH) to fluctuate and *** air then *** water over and over again. When I got home I used the same 4 holes and went a couple drill bit sizes larger and will test again and report back. So far I am excited about this modification!

Saw Hurricane on the water and we fished some together and chatted then made the run home back to the ramp.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lurem said:

Got my plate installed last weekend with the help of Mulligan and took it out this past Sunday to see how it worked. I have the small 4 holes per Gevviam's example. I could definitely tell that I did not have to use my trim tabs and trim as much during the day to keep the boat from hopping. Definitely worth the time and effort!

On the holes, mine are to small, they worked ok while running on plane but when sitting still the sea chest would not stay full causing my livewell pump (800 PGH) to fluctuate and *** air then *** water over and over again. When I got home I used the same 4 holes and went a couple drill bit sizes larger and will test again and report back. So far I am excited about this modification!

Saw Hurricane on the water and we fished some together and chatted then made the run home back to the ramp.

Something doesn't sound right. I can see the small holes creating a restriction sitting still but the air portion has me wondering if you have a leak on the suction side of the pump. I dunno!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JEM said:

It sounds like the pump, while sitting still, could be trying to pump more water than the 4 small holes can supply. 

But where does the air come from. I could see the pump cavitation but it is still drawing from an area that should not have air. The sea chest is below the water line, no air there sitting still. Got to have air to get bubbles and the only time I get them is running or in a good chop from air getting under the hull.

Never sitting still unless a strainer O ring or something is leaking.

34 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Something doesn't sound right. I can see the small holes creating a restriction sitting still but the air portion has me wondering if you have a leak on the suction side of the pump. I dunno!

I asked Lurem about this in a text, and he said that the pump sounded like it was struggling to get enough water, and not necessarily air in the line.  When I tested my live well at rest with this setup, the water flow was fine - but, I did not put the plug in allow the well to fill up.  Maybe the extra pressure/weight of a full tank is the problem.  More vertical holes may be needed to ease the strain on the pump.  Again, I would not drill any more angled holes - just more vertical holes.  JMO.

Let me see if I can clarify what I wrote. When sitting still the pump would pump a full stream of water then taper off to a light stream or dribble, then the pump would catch some water and pump at full flow again continuously. I was thinking that the holes in the grater were to small and the sea chest could not refill fast enough. I see where Geeviam says I need to go with vertical holes instead of larger angled holes. He needs to type faster as I already drilled angled holes!! haha

Again me getting my thoughts to paper is tough for an old guy like me. On the trim tabs, I always have to use my tabs at cruising speeds to keep my boat from porpoising. It has done it since brand new no matter which prop I run. Sunday I was at cruising speeds and my boat did not porpoise like it has in the past. It may not be all gone but this is a huge improvement. As for speeds, it was a little choppy for me,  but I did notice a 1-1.5 mph increase with the prop I ran that day running with him across the bay..

• Like 4

19 hours ago, lurem said:

He needs to type faster as I already drilled angled holes!! haha

X2! After I got off the phone with Lurem and heard he was struggling to get enough water to his pumps, I crawled back under my boat to make my holes a little larger.  I now have 4 angled 7/32" holes down the outside a small drain hole on the inside and a 1/4" vertical hole in the center rear. I am putting the drill down for now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

X2! After I got off the phone with Lurem and heard he was struggling to get enough water to his pumps, I crawled back under my boat to make my holes a little larger.  I now have 4 angled 7/32" holes down the outside a small drain hole on the inside and a 1/4" vertical hole in the center rear. I am putting the drill down for now!

Lol!  What you and Lurem did sounds right Mulligan.  I'm probably going to add a couple more holes same as you, to help the pump keep the pressure up.  I just want to do one more test with the boat at rest before I get the drill out.  Don't know when that will be though, because we are still digging out, after the snow storm here in Upstate SC.

A true speed freak would need a shut off grater plate . It would be possible to make a lexan cheese grater plate with all the holes needed for your livewell to perform and drain great when you are using your livewell . Than on that rare occasion when you wouldn’t be using the live well and wanted to try and get every possible MPH out of your fishing boat. You could place the plate in the closed position before putting the boat in the water. This lexan plate would be shorter than the lower plate so it could slide into position to open and close all the holes in the cheese grater. The upper plate would be able to slide forward to open water holes in that position all the holes would be a exact match , There would be four screws in a slot that could be loeesened to let the upper plate move back covering all holes in that closed position the plate would slide into the closed position in the slot than you could tighten the screws down . The plate would be able to slide forward with the screws in the slot than when in full open and full closed position the plate would move to the side that way when screws are tight in could not move .   Joe R 

• Like 2